Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Muffler experience

Here is a very nice tour of the Eisenmann factory: https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/12/19/i...mann-facility/
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

Eisenmann starts to sound better and better (no pun intended)... and they're only 680 euro in Europe. Will keep them in mind as I check pricing for the Porsche Classic muffler.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by govols! View Post
    Here is a very nice tour of the Eisenmann factory: https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/12/19/i...mann-facility/
    Thanks for posting the tour!

Here are some photos we just took a few weeks ago. Material was selected that matched the factory sound 100%. Handmade in Germany 15 mins from the Porsche factory.

Great site you guys have here

Quote Originally Posted by EisenmannNA View Post
    Thanks for posting the tour!

Here are some photos we just took a few weeks ago. Material was selected that matched the factory sound 100%. Handmade in Germany 15 mins from the Porsche factory.

Great site you guys have here
    Hi, would you be interested in making reproductions of the early style muffler if an original muffler can be supplied to you for patterns? It looks like there is nobody in the market who makes an accurate reproduction of the early Leistritz muffler.

Hi EisenmannNA, great that you're replying to this thread. The muffler that you're showing in the pictures (P91127-T-1) looks to be steel rather than stainless steel, right? Is is available online as well?

On your website, I can only find this muffler which is stainless steel and has a different part number (P91127.00600):
    https://eisenmann-exhaust-systems.co...27.00600&c=122
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Hi EisenmannNA, great that you're replying to this thread. The muffler that you're showing in the pictures (P91127-T-1) looks to be steel rather than stainless steel, right? Is is available online as well?

On your website, I can only find this muffler which is stainless steel and has a different part number (P91127.00600):
    https://eisenmann-exhaust-systems.co...27.00600&c=122
    No problem at all. Happy to have found this forum thanks to George.

P91127.00600 = carbon steel "non stainless" but the photos on the iND site are made using the CAD design so they appear to look like an SS system. Eisenmann Germany wanted to make sure that the system not only looked 100% factory but the sound had to be exact.

Hmm I don’t see any photos in the page I linked to. I do see the text “Authentic replica made of stainless steel” so is this a different muffler than the one you’ve showed?
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

I finally decided to install the Porsche Classic muffler and it is indeed a world of difference compared to the Dansk. Just knocking on the muffler tells you that it's much more solid, definitely not the same construction. It's quieter when idling and driving slowly, and the sound is much more melodic, warm, and integrated with the other sounds that the engine produces. It's as if the Dansk accentuates only certain frequencies and makes them too pronounced, while the Classic muffler averages it out over a whole range of frequencies. When accelerating hard, it sounds quite raw.

With the Dansk muffler, I've never been very happy with the sound. Now however this feels like how the early 911 is supposed to sound. Well worth the price difference.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

And interestingly, the engine seems to pull nicer from standstill. It's easier to modulate the throttle. And maybe it's a little bit faster overall as well. We didn't recheck the MFI after the muffler swap but it feels like it's still in tune.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

Good to hear on the Porsche classic muffler. I think there still is need for authentic looking early mufflers and none of the available mufflers out there look correct. Not sure if the people from Eisenmann are reading in but this is something I think they are perfectly set-up for.