Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: correct flooring for 1966. Carpet or rubber?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    The well known late '65 ('66 model year) color brochure says black (actually "salt pepper") velour carpet:

I'm not an expert on '66 911s. I have most (maybe all) '65 911 brochures and I've never seen a '66 brochure save for the color chart above. One very early brochure (October 1964) shows rubber mats, the others show carpet in 911s.

I'm afraid the Kardex won't help: all I've seen specified only the seat upholstery material and color.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 06-28-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
    I guess you have not ordered a Kardex for your car. This would answer definitively several questions you have asked about your, particular car. Responses to your questions across several threads indicate a car of your year and vin number might have come with rubber mats or with carpets, with leather or vinyl, etc. Only the Kardex (and to a lesser extent the CoA) will tell what your particular car came with. The same goes for color and type of carpet -- if your car came with supplemental carpet. The carpet could be perlon, or ordered as square weave in an assortment of colors (c.f. late 356). The questions you ask yield only the range of possibilities of how your car might have been configured. An investment in a Kardex will turn speculation and guessing into fact.
    Didnt see it on the Kardex...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Anybody else have experience with correct 1966 floor coverings?

was carpet indeed an option?
    Was salt and pepper the only type of carpet?

need to figure out what to use for my 1966 restoration.

www.tcspeed.com

1965 - 66 carpet

Seeing that your upholstery was leather - matching to anything other than a quality carpeting would have required special notes on the Kardex.

The Velour you need has been supplied by Autos International. From this ancient sample card it was item V 321 Charcoal, also known as Haargarn.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

K'leder braun is an abbreviation for Kunstleder braun, i.e. brown imitation leather (leatherette).
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Good catch Jim....

What he said.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    velour with cloth binding was standard for 66, square weave with vinyl binding for the trunk. Not sure if the velour came in colors other than grey/black.
    I've removed 3 sets of 65-66 carpets and still maintain that the grey/black velour material being sold today is darker (blacker) than original even when you take fading into consideration. My sense is that Porsche used a different material/supplier for the SWB velour carpets.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Quote Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
    Anybody else have experience with correct 1966 floor coverings?

was carpet indeed an option?
    Was salt and pepper the only type of carpet?

need to figure out what to use for my 1966 restoration.
    I have seen people post elsewhere in this forum claiming that they have 1966 911s that came from the factory with rubber floor mats. Maybe...

But,
    • I've never seen a Kardex or CofA for a '66 911 documenting rubber floor mats. In general, I wouldn't believe a feature on any 50+ year-old car today is has to be original without proof, like a Kardex, photo when new, original owner, etc.
    • It's pretty clear to me that when Porsche introduced the 911 they were looking for ways to spend money--always assume the most expensive choice is correct.
    • It's clear that '65s had carpet--not rubber. From an April '65 brochure "Carpeted floors with shoe-heel protection on drivers side"
    • PET does show a rubber carpet parts number, but it begins with 902 (912 specific part). Granted, PET refers to perlon where everything else says velour.

I can't prove that no '66 911s ever came with rubber floor mats (at least without special orders) but I have to believe that carpet is the "correct" choice.

As to which carpet, every source says 911s came with black velour. It's actually mostly back fibers with some silver-grey fibers mixed in hence it's often called "charcoal" or "salt & pepper." See Post 11 by Bob 67S.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

I just found a one-owner '66 which came with rubber floor mats. The daughter says they were they when they bought the car as a family Christmas gift.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Seeing that your upholstery was leather - matching to anything other than a quality carpeting would have required special notes on the Kardex.

The Velour you need has been supplied by Autos International. From this ancient sample card it was item V 321 Charcoal, also known as Haargarn.
    Thanks, autobahn are doing my interior. I will see what they have access.
    Last edited by tcsracing1; 08-07-2019 at 04:42 AM.

www.tcspeed.com