Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Steering Racks

Early Steering Racks

Hi Guys,

I have two ZF steering racks. As per the pictures I'm assuming those are the date codes. Did all SWB cars have these racks and are they rebuildable?

Thanks, Vic
    Name:  IMG_7503.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  60.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_7502.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  91.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_7501.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  75.9 KB

It is possible that you have two subtly different steering racks.

The 1966 Steering Rack is almost certainly the original design and if you remove the Silentbloc bushes and gaiter locating plates it should measure 485mm long.

For the 1969 MY the rack changed slightly - The length increased to 501mm (without Silentblocs ). The steering ratio changed from 2.8 Turns to 3.1 turns and the rack mounted 3mm higher relative to the front axle. It is possible that this rack was introduced in late 1968 on the first LWB cars produced.

There was also a change to the internal deep groove ball bearings fitted to the pinion and the nut which holds the flange onto the pinion changed from and M8 Castle Nut to an M10 Prevailing Torque Nut.

Both racks will bolt into a SWB car but the change in mounting height will change bump steer behaviour - this may not be very noticeable but it will result in a subtle change.

The rack design changed again in 1970 but these changes were mostly internal although the rack looked a little different in external appearance and will interchange with 1969 Rack. The main rack bar reduced in diameter from 30mm to 29mm and the pinion bearing arrangement changed with the upper deep groove ball bearing being replaced by a full complement needle roller bearing and an associated thrust washer.

The Turbo Rack is almost identical to the 1970-1989 Rack in terms of design but mounts another 5mm higher relative to the front axle (8mm different to the SWB Rack)

We make 4 x different repair kits - 1965 to 1968 (SWB), 1969, 1970-1989 and 914.

Last edited by BillJones; 05-31-2019 at 12:47 AM.

That’s awesome, thanks. The 66 rack is frozen and the 68 works but feels notchy on center. I’ll take them apart and have a look. Do you have a rebuild service also? I might need better rack and pinion gears.

Vic

sometimes you can read the tag on the rack to see what year it is.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Where can I get a complete repair kit for a '65 Rack (w/Damper)?

Well I disassembled both racks and both are bad. Bummer! Not enough good parts to make one rack. I'll have to find a good used one.

Quote Originally Posted by danwiniger View Post
    Where can I get a complete repair kit for a '65 Rack (w/Damper)?
    What do you mean by complete?

Gaiters and Silentblocs are readily available and Steering dampers aren't too hard to find. The kits we have made are complete in terms of the internal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rs-vic View Post
    Well I disassembled both racks and both are bad. Bummer! Not enough good parts to make one rack. I'll have to find a good used one.
    Do you mean that the pinion gear and rack are worn/damaged. This is unusual and they normally can be refurbished.

If you have one early and one 1969 rack you wouldn't be able to mix and match the pinions as the tooth forms won't match due to the different ratios.

Can you take photographs?

Bill, Can you provide your information for ordering the set you are showing? Do you have a website?

Does your set include the Nut & Bolt that hold the steering column attachment piece?

Thanks, Dan

Name:  2019-06-03_10-18-39.png
Views: 279
Size:  216.8 KB

Dan,

That doesn't look like a 1965 rack as I would expect to see 4 dimples on the end cover. The photograph below is a 1965 rack complete with the damper mounting.

It looks more like a late 68/69 Rack

The ruling measurement is the length of the rack with the Silentbloc bushes removed which should be 485mm.

The nut which holds the flange onto the pinion will be an M10 if it the later type of rack and an M8 Castle Nut with Cotter Pin if it is an early type.

Once we know the length and the nut size the kit is easy to configure.

Bill, sorry for the confusion. That picture is not of my Steering Rack. I took a screen shot of rs-vic's original post. I just know that when I refurbished my front suspension & tie rods with Turbo Tie Rods, 25 years ago, that bolt looked very corroded.... I do remember the Castle Nut, and cotter pin. I will need this in the near future. I am now in the rear of the Vehicle, installing the engine, after a bunch of new metal.....