Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to get in touch with Denny Kahler

Trying to get in touch with Denny Kahler

Anybody know how I might get in touch with this famous (set a record at Bonneville) racer and Porsche shop owner in California? He either brokered or owned a '69 911E that I now own. Would love to speak with him and try to fill in some of the blanks. he might be in Utah now. thanx steve meltzer. PM is fine, too. <scheherazade@swbell.net>

Banned
    He's a member here and just posted a couple of days ago.

I'm sure he'll see this.

that's great news. if not, I'll bet I can contact the registry administrators. thanx. steve

Banned
    Although...

when guys call me and ask that I help them “fill in” history on a car that I owned or brokered so that they “have a story”, I usually don’t return their calls.

What is this current trend? Why is it so important to have a story?

I long for the good old days when people just bought cars.

Off my soapbox Steve. Good luck interrogating Denny.

Sometimes you find out the previous owner was real prick, one of the guys that owned one of mine definately was, backed up my even his family members years down the track when we crossed paths. Others have great stories to tell from their past about the car and the one it was traded in on. I liked this one, leaving a party in the late 70s and starting the car through the window in front of everbody and watching it take off through the neighbours fence.
    S Registry#2021

Mr. Beck, I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to get any info on a car you once owned. In 30 years of buying and selling classic cars, your experience and beliefs has not been mine. Almost all of the PO I've contacted about their former possessions love talking about their ownership and are equally glad to hear about the car's current status. Actually, I can't recall anyone who didn't want to help. In fact, I still own a '67 'Vette that an owner down the chain actually sought me out to talk about the car. Others have sent family photos and scads of valuable (to me and the car's provenance) invoices and service orders. All of this, at least to me, and apparently many others, adds to the joy of ownership.

I certainly wouldn't have used the term "interrogation" to describe my attempts to piece together the car's history and provenance...more like the methods of Lt. Columbo.

Thanx for your input.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meltzer View Post
    I certainly wouldn't have used the term "interrogation" to describe my attempts to piece together the car's history and provenance...more like the methods of Lt. Columbo.
    steve
    Of course. LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The PO and I call my 67S "our" car. Someone once told me not to fall in love with the cars, too late.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meltzer View Post
    Mr. Beck, I'm certainly glad I'm not trying to get any info on a car you once owned. In 30 years of buying and selling classic cars, your experience and beliefs has not been mine. Almost all of the PO I've contacted about their former possessions love talking about their ownership and are equally glad to hear about the car's current status. Actually, I can't recall anyone who didn't want to help. In fact, I still own a '67 'Vette that an owner down the chain actually sought me out to talk about the car. Others have sent family photos and scads of valuable (to me and the car's provenance) invoices and service orders. All of this, at least to me, and apparently many others, adds to the joy of ownership.

Thanx for your input.

steve
    Yep.

I’m all for helping people (for a profit of course) but the thought of digging up info on hundreds(?) of cars I’ve sold/brokered sounds incredibly boring. I’d rather use my time to build something, race, or drink beer.

A “story” to me is about talking or bloviating rather than driving... one reason I don’t do car shows.

And while I’m reminded...

A guy called me about a year ago and mentioned that he wanted “the whole story” on a 73 RS that I intimately knew since 1975. I think I quoted him less than $1k for my time and he was offended.
    $750k car and the cheap bass turd wouldn’t even pay a measly sum to perhaps the only person on the planet who knew most of the sordid details of the car’s history.

Sorry; when people believe “the story” enhances value, emotionally or financially but they refuse to pay for it, they can go pound sand.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 06-08-2019 at 05:29 AM.

'Cause . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . Why is it so important to have a story? . . .
    . . . The Story can be WAY more interesting than The Car, sometimes

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post648589

Ya just never know what'll turn-up

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes