Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get in touch with Denny Kahler

Sithot....thanx for the image of Peter Falk...still chuckle whenever I see or think of his antics. In fact, we leave soon for vacation and we've already packed a couple of DVDs of old Columbo escapades! Too funny! s

I imagine some people try to get in touch with POs in the hopes that what info they can glean will increase the car's provenance and, in turn, its value when the time comes to sell it. As early 911 values increased so dramatically over the past decade, and as buyers and sellers have placed a premium on having as much information available, the interest in having that information has increased as well.

Others want to fill in the blanks with regard to the car's original equipment or service history not as a buying or selling point but to aid in the restoration or preservation of the car. Porsche CoAs are notoriously spotty and Kardexes nonexistent for cars built after a certain date. For someone who is trying to restore or preserve a car to its original specs - or its specs at a given point in time - this information may be important. (Think about cars that started life as Ss and were upgraded to RS specs, or a car that came from the factory radio deleted and had a period correct radio installed later.) PPIs don't always reveal work that may have been done, especially if that work was very well done (e.g., bodywork). Ideally any paperwork associated with that work is available at the time of the PPI but sometimes it's not.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Banned
    Unfortunately now some buyers believe they have a right to intrude into past owner’s lives. I sold a very original ‘78 Targa for a customer 4 years ago and the arrogant assbuyer from Europe had the audacity to track down my customer and bombard him with questions. The very reason he had me sell it was to avoid this kind of harassment. I provided a complete repair/service history log for the buyer. It was unacceptable for him to interrogate the previous owner for any “juicy” history.

Buyers are getting obsessed with this; at the expense of another’s privacy. Anymore I won’t even provide records because it’s gotten so bad. Chalk that up to this trend.

Honestly you guys; some of us don’t appreciate being bothered with this crap. It’s just a freaking car. Unlike old owners I’m afraid many of the current nouveau buyers view these as idols.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 06-09-2019 at 04:09 AM.

I have a quick story to add and I'm not taking sides on the PO interest or non-interest in a previously owned car.

When I was in college I worked at a shop that specialized in Datsun Z Cars. Just Z cars. None of the ZX stuff as it was too new to us. Anyway, we had a kid that would come in that had a low serial number, made in 69 series 1 car. One day we get a call from his mom that he wants to sell it. My boss tells me about it and I go check it out. The kid had been involved in a serious car accident. The driver was killed and the kid who owned the Z-car was paralyzed from the neck down. The mom thought the car needed a diff (it didn't. It just needed a u-joint on one of the half shafts) and she wouldn't let the car leave until I fixed it in her backward. She was still shaken up from her son's accident I guess and didn't want me to be in harm's way. I drove the car through college and sold it before moving to California after graduation. I wish I had kept that car.

Fast forward 32 years. One of the guys I work with is telling me about his friend from Highschool who died the day before who had been involved in a car accident and was paralyzed. Long story short, it was the kid I bought the car from. The family for years had wondered what had happened to Ambrose's Z-Car. I was asked to provide as much info on the car as I could to the surviving brother. And I think the brother is now trying to buy the car from the current owner who lives in Huntsville Al. I hope he's able to buy it.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 06-09-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Banned
    Fascinating story Steve.
    So the Z wasn’t damaged in the crash?

Here’s a “story”.

I originally purchased my 300011 car in 1988 50 miles from my home. This is a very significant 911.

Has it even occurred to me to track down the seller? Absolutely not. I find it rude and intrusive and besides that, have no desire to make him feel like a dumbass for selling the car so cheap.

Is there an idle curiosity regarding how it made it into the states and ultimately to Apache Junction, Arizona? Yes but I’m not going to satisfy my selfish desire at the expense of someone else’s privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Fascinating story Steve.
    So the Z wasn’t damaged in the crash?

Here’s a “story”.

I originally purchased my 300011 car in 1988 50 miles from my home. This is a very significant 911.

Has it even occurred to me to track down the seller? Absolutely not. I find it rude and intrusive and besides that, have no desire to make him feel like a dumbass for selling the car so cheap.

Is there an idle curiosity regarding how it made it into the states and ultimately to Apache Junction, Arizona? Yes but I’m not going to satisfy my selfish desire at the expense of someone else’s privacy.
    I disagree that at least asking about a cars history to a prior owner is selfish, invades privacy and may make them feel like a dumb-ass. Ive had some great conversations with prior owners, many who want to speak for ages about the car. Maybe your motives are different, for many its just filling in some gaps on a passion that many have, as opposed to a business.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Unfortunately now some buyers believe they have a right to intrude into past owner’s lives. I sold a very original ‘78 Targa for a customer 4 years ago and the arrogant assbuyer from Europe had the audacity to track down my customer and bombard him with questions. The very reason he had me sell it was to avoid this kind of harassment. I provided a complete repair/service history log for the buyer. It was unacceptable for him to interrogate the previous owner for any “juicy” history.
    Agreed, and you'd almost think it'd go without saying that a current owner would respect the privacy of a PO. Sadly we live in a world where we have given up privacy either willingly or unwillingly to the point that many people think privacy is no longer a given.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

I once bought a very nice Euro '75 VW Scirocco TS from a USAF security analyst who brought it home with him. No stories during the sale negotiations or test drive; we agreed to a price and wished me well. Had a large accordion file filled with service records, oil/gas, etc. ... everything. Along with something unexpected: a log book that was more like a journal of his travels. 200+ pages written in the style of National Lampoon's Doug Kenney riffing on Ripping Yarns, some really funny stories that bordered on cinematic. Terrific fun, when I sold the car it was all included. I never had a need to contact the seller again (even though I wanted to), and my buyer didn't either.

But I really should have gotten that guy an agent and publishing deal.

Truth is, old cars always have stories... if a previous owner fills you in, enjoy. It's more satisfying to create new tales from the roads you travel.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
    I disagree that at least asking about a cars history to a prior owner is selfish, invades privacy and may make them feel like a dumb-ass. Ive had some great conversations with prior owners, many who want to speak for ages about the car. Maybe your motives are different, for many its just filling in some gaps on a passion that many have, as opposed to a business.
    Motive has nothing to do with it.

You just haven’t crossed paths with the right owners yet. Sellers who have me sell their cars are typically very private people; and they like to keep it that way. Keep in mind, most of the time these are not obsessed car guys. They’re just normal people who happened to pick the right car to drive for 40 years.

And yes, if a guy found out he sold a million dollar + car for a thousand bucks he would probably feel a bit stupid.

My Experience . . .

. . . PO #7 = Guy I bought the car from. Mark and I still talk, gets a Christmas card from me every year . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...971#post633971
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post755541

. . . PO #6 = Guy PO #7 bought the card from. Lou and I still talk, and he gets a Christmas card, too . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post683647

Between the three of us, we can talk about what was going on with the car, back to ~'85. Always fun keeping in touch. And been talking about maybe getting together for Amelia, some time

Wanna bring my car, though

Was one other owner --- PO #3 . . . who was contacted, gave some brief details . . . then asked not to be 'bothered' . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post644259

. . . which he hasn't

Still --- if he hadn't been asked? . . .

For myself, having access to a car's Story --- and the people who 're in it . . . not just Previous Owners, but maybe some of the Mechs + Techs and Body+Paint Guys who kept it up and/or put it back together . . . are prolly as interesting to me as any 'numbers' or documentation that I could ever come up with. They take a pile of metal and plastic --- something that's basically pretty static + inanimate . . . and tell a little 'bout where its been, what its done . . .

. . . = bring it to life

Kinda like this site

I mean --- if people didn't come here, dish about their cars + experiences . . .

. . . what would be left?

Less for some to grouse about, sounds like? . . .

Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-09-2019 at 06:19 PM.

We Can Be Heroes