Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted or Stickered? Livery on Porsche werks racing cars

Painted or Stickered? Livery on Porsche werks racing cars

I've never really looked at this detail before, and I would like to say I'm asking the question to have this recorded for future queries, but I have to admit this question is rather selfish.
    I'm building a replica of the R6 Martini Werks car, and don't know if the Martini livery is painted in its entirety, fully sticker'd, or if they used a combination at the time.
    But whilst we're on the subject, we could (should) discuss the Brumos & Gulf cars obviously as well, as for them it's maybe clearer what they've done.

I can't see it from historical pictures of the Martini factory RSRs, but it looks as if the numbers "8", "46", etc., as well as some of the sponsors (Shell notably) are decals.
    You can see why that would make sense, as some cars raced two weekends in a row and got different numbers allocated, and you need to make sure the thing wins, not that it looks immaculate.
    Not sure if sponsors changed that often, but it could be a regional thing to maybe exchange those for a certain race as well.

However, I have seen recent pictures of the R6 (9113600588) restoration, and it looks as if at least the stripes in the Martini colours are painted there.
    and you would expect that such a car has had its history & details extensively studied.
    Also Mike Moore, who I know put a lot of research in his replica of the #107 Targa Martini car, decided on painting the whole thing, including the Martini-racing belt logo.

Name:  48.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  103.9 KB

But is there anyone here that knows what the factory/Martini-werks team did in 1973?
    Did they paint, did they use decals or did they do both, and if so: what parts exactly were painted?
    Last edited by patrick911; 06-11-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Recent restoration of R6:
    https://www.maxted-page.com/expertis...he-carrera-rsr

And I have always heard that the stripes were painted.
    The numbers, and sponsors logos were stickers.

I don't know but this was taken at Goodwood FOS last year if it helpsName:  Screenshot_20190612-103733~2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  48.8 KB

For newer Cars (962 etc.) I have a contact of the retired guy who painted most Works Race Cars for Weissach.

@928cs: thanks - I had the R6 restoration pictures, and from there it looked as if the stripes as well as the Martini Racing words & logo were all painted.
    that site also showed that at least the Shell logo was a decal, so it certainly helps.
    The flaking paint on the 1974 Martini car is even clearer; Martini stripes clearly painted then.

@911MRP: Thanks. It looks as if the stripes are painted (few irregularities); is that what you meant? (funny they put the dymo label the museum car had back on the restored car)

@uai: cheers, would he know maybe what the team would have done ten years or so earlier?

Have you asked Maxted-Page?

Otherwise, you could ask the Garage Bourgoin (info@garagebourgoin.com), who has worked on R5:
    http://www.garagebourgoin.com/Restau...-21/index.html

@gumby1953 I'm sure that you know the answer to this question
    http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/...art-1108-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    @uai: cheers, would he know maybe what the team would have done ten years or so earlier?
    Probably not. He had a body shop nearby Weissach - But I can ask him when exactly he started working for Porsche. I know he did a lot of the Rothmans sponsored Cars.
    The company (not longer existing) was called Stahl Karosserie & Lack

I'm always in doubt if i should ask a question, but every time i do I'm again overwhelmed with the responses and links I've never seen before; and I have been researching this now for 6 or 7 years! Incredible. Thanks guys, much, much appreciated!

Yes the livery on car I saw was painted but I didn't look in great detail at which parts painted Vs what might be sticker tbh as I wasn't planning to do a replica.