Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 1970 911T - Gearbox question.

August 1970 911T - Gearbox question.

Hi Folks,

I own a US delivered 71 MY 911T, which has some nice options from new, including appearance group, koni adjustable shocks, and S calipers. These items are listed on the COA. What is NOT however listed on the COA is a type 901/1 five speed transmission, that the car also has. My question is, was the 901/1 standard on T's (or a dealer option), such that it was not listed on the factory COA, OR am I to assume this actual car was delivered with the four speed, and later changed to a five speed?

This has bugged me, so I was wondering if anybody can help with this specific point. My car also has 40IDA 3C/1 Webers too, but I assume these were fitted later, as this model I believe was delivered new with Zenith.

Many thanks,

That really depends on the model type:
    911111 911T Coupe; 4 spd
    911114 911T Coupe; 5 spd
    911115 911T Coupe; Sporto
    On a window sticker it may show the transmission as a $165 option, but the CoA may not have it as a listed option. I have seen this recently with the Reports that I make up that are similar to a CoA. I always need to get the model # to know what the base level of the car's options are. Then I look at the options list. In the case of a model 911114 I know it will have a 5 speed, but the listed options do not include it; it is assumed from the model #.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    That really depends on the model type:
    911111 911T Coupe; 4 spd
    911114 911T Coupe; 5 spd
    911115 911T Coupe; Sporto
    On a window sticker it may show the transmission as a $165 option, but the CoA may not have it as a listed option. I have seen this recently with the Reports that I make up that are similar to a CoA. I always need to get the model # to know what the base level of the car's options are. Then I look at the options list. In the case of a model 911114 I know it will have a 5 speed, but the listed options do not include it; it is assumed from the model #.
    OK Dave, i appreciate your help here. I will get you the vin / chassis number and see if that throws up anything. It's a matching numbers car, and so I am partly expecting the G/box to be the original fitment. Patina / colour of magnesium etc is almost indistinguishable to that of the engine, it it does look like they've been mated together from day one.

ok Dave, the VIN/chassis starts with 911112 (there are four digits after this). Does this tell you anything specific about my car? Perhaps even where it was sold new?

I have a usa T , made somewhere near August 1970.
    I have apperance group and all that stuff.
    Porsche had verified my tranny as matching, and it is a 5 speed.

My Vin ends in 0372
    I can get you the tranny#

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I have a usa T , made somewhere near August 1970.
    I have apperance group and all that stuff.
    Porsche had verified my tranny as matching, and it is a 5 speed.

My Vin ends in 0372
    I can get you the tranny#

WOW Scott, our cars are literally brothers (or sisters). Mine ends on 0257 (built Aug 70)... Ok, so does your COA include a five speed box, or was this not mentioned on the factory papers, but possibly included at the dealer, or maybe 'S appearance' group cars just came with a 5 speed?

Out of interest, when I called Porsche for my COA, they gave me VIN and Engine number, and USA delivery confirmation, but there was nothing at all mentioned in regards to the 5 speed....

911112xxxx just tells me that it is a 911, 1=1971, 1=T, 2=Karmann body
    The 6 digit model #s in my previous post are not parts of the VIN, basically it is 911, body code, engine code & transmission code.
    Nothing in the VIN tells you where it was sold. For almost all 70 & 71 cars it is not possible to verify the transmission serial. It is possible to purchase data that tells you the country code for equipment, and the distributor code, but to find the dealer you would basically need original documents such as a bill of sale or a filled out Maintenance Record or Service book. The data available varies a bit, but given a VIN and a production #, I can get the production # confirmed, the model code, the country code, the distributor code, the engine #, sometimes the transmission #, sometimes the tire manufacturer, and the recorded options. Group options are difficult to break down. Even the comfort group/appearance group is tricky to nail down since it varies by model year and by model type, and even by country. For example, the 70 & 71 911S in some European countries were the stripped down model, and most got the M470 to bring it back up to 911E trim levels, but North American cars were fully trimmed. I was even able to get the key code for my own car.

I think you are mistaken about the transmission type number. Your car would have a type number of 911/01. From Where did you get your info?

Jim

Actually Jim, you may be correct there.. I absolutely know I am a pre 915, so I will check again and clarify.

Dave, would you like me to post / send you a photo of the COA that I ordered and collected through Porsche Australia. If you send me an email, I can happily email you what they sent to me?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by acf321 View Post
    WOW Scott, our cars are literally brothers (or sisters). Mine ends on 0257 (built Aug 70)
    Not really. Scott's car has VIN 911110xxxx, so it has a Porsche built body, and there is also a Targa with VIN 911111xxxx. Unique features of Karmann built bodies are the Karmann paint badge, the 12xyyyy production #, and a Karmann body # stamped into the tunnel, under the access cover just in front of the rear seats.