Thread: gas pedal stuck half way

gas pedal stuck half way

Hi friends,
    Today I wanted to have a run with my 67s , After a about half a mile my gas pedal got stuck half way down and would not be fully released .
    This made me switch engine off immediately and got the car towed back to the garage where she now lies.
    I am new to this car any ideas ???
    I know it will go to the mechanic , but just until I wait for appointment , anything I can have a good look at ???

Thanks
    PORSCHE 911S '66

my cars mostly got stuck down by the gas pedal.
    the linkage would run into the tunnel sheet metal.
    (the opening that is somewhat a triangle and a fold in the metal)

they also get stuck if the rubbery/plastic hand throttle connector piece rots out and flops out of place.
    also the front pedal rust out often.
    also, the wood pedal board can shift out of place and interfere with the pedal and ball snap bar.
    also there is linkage and levers under the car. and a problematic anti-vibration connector, they easily break. if not renewed.

it is really only best to go from the front to the rear...the entire system, including the carb levers.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    my cars mostly got stuck down by the gas pedal.
    the linkage would run into the tunnel sheet metal.
    (the opening that is somewhat a triangle and a fold in the metal)

they also get stuck if the rubbery/plastic hand throttle connector piece rots out and flops out of place.
    also the front pedal rust out often.
    also, the wood pedal board can shift out of place and interfere with the pedal and ball snap bar.
    also there is linkage and levers under the car. and a problematic anti-vibration connector, they easily break. if not renewed.

it is really only best to go from the front to the rear...the entire system, including the carb levers.
    Thank you Scott, what I know is that the carb levers are fine, will have to check from pedals backwards ;-)
    PORSCHE 911S '66

The bell crank under the gas pedal will get stuck under the tunnel edge as mentioned above if the bell crank bushings are worn out, allowing the pedal to flop over to the right too far.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Exact same thing happened in my 70T. Went out to start the car on our way to the Hill Country Rally in March. Felt something a little off when I pressed the gas pedal to prime the carbs and then the car wouldn't start. Found that the bell crank bushing was stuck under that tunnel metal. Did some parking lot repairs and made our way to Kerrville. Got back home and had the pedal box rebuilt. No problems since.
    Harry
    Early 911s Registry Member # 3046
    1970 911T w/3.2L
    R Gruppe # 780
    2003 Boxster S
    2007 997.1 GT3
    2018 Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The bell crank under the gas pedal will get stuck under the tunnel edge as mentioned above if the bell crank bushings are worn out, allowing the pedal to flop over to the right too far.
    here is the culprit , triangle with ball joints moved to the right of normal position Name:  64562167_359543824701344_5447110939079868416_n (1).jpg
Views: 382
Size:  65.5 KB
    PORSCHE 911S '66

Banned
    Yes, that’s what everyone is trying to tell you.

Straighten it but if you don’t have a properly adjusted stop on the toe board it’s just going to happen again after mashing the go-pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Yes, that’s what everyone is trying to tell you.

Straighten it but if you don’t have a properly adjusted stop on the toe board it’s just going to happen again after mashing the go-pedal.
    Thanks frank , I have now pushed it back in place and all seems fine.
    Pedal now works fine with all linkages and now comes back to the black toe board stop as it should
    Last edited by Bowzer; 06-18-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    PORSCHE 911S '66

But I'll bet your bell crank bushings are worn out,,,and now the vertical lever is slightly bent to the right. This will reoccur until the bushings are replaced.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    But I'll bet your bell crank bushings are worn out,,,and now the vertical lever is slightly bent to the right. This will reoccur until the bushings are replaced.
    Thank you Edmayo , yes these are ordered to be replaced ;-)
    PORSCHE 911S '66