Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine number stampings,looking for a seriouse 2nd opinion please.

Engine number stampings,looking for a seriouse 2nd opinion please.

Name:  B8F60268-BEED-4A12-970F-0E991E9B6510.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  DDE71D18-751B-4D85-8654-3126CEE35D06.jpeg
Views: 463
Size:  98.7 KB
    Thanks for any help.

you probably know those pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What is your question? For those amateurish stampings to be factory, Heinz would have had to gotten really sloshed at die Bierstube at lunchtime.

While the stamping may look amateurish or at least atypical, the engines themselves are rather atypical. I see no particular faults, just that they do not look like a typical production engine. There are not many examples to compare to.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Looks like the genuine article to me. G

While I am not familiar enough with these engines to comment on authenticity, I will say that somewhat sloppy stamping is a hallmark of the factory, at least in the 356 era. In fact, super straight stamps would sometimes raise my suspicions. I suspect most people who do re-stamping would try to be careful and deliberate while the factory line was ripping through it. In addition, a special engine like this was probably not going through the normal process.

the * seem to differ. On the top one it's a thin line, on moito's it seems to be "fatter".
    Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Name:  IMG_6176.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  72.4 KBHow does this one look? Can anyone guess what engine this is by the number? Of course a 911 engine:

Font looks correct but the engine number seems horizontally compressed. Doesn't mean it's not factory - just not typical. I've seen some variation.
    Early 911S Registry #888

As opposed to the previous pictures, the one above looks like the case was machined and restamped. The others look to have their numbers in a rough finish that doesn't show signs of being machined flat.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.