Thread: Reverting a race car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reverting a race car

This link appeared in a thread on something else under discussion.
    http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/...art-1108-1.htm
    I hadn't read it before.

Interesting project/goal to revert a storied race car to an earlier more successful incarnation of the RSR chassis.

I can admire the workmanship and ambitious aim, but since so much is now new and / or completely redone how authentic is it to that earlier RSR incarnation? Also how much of the factory work done back in the day to upgrade it to the later Turbo spec got permanently lost in the process too?

To be clear in this post I'm not questioning the chassis #, provenance etc - no intent to challenge that important stuff here. Just commenting generally on what had apparently long survived from the in-period factory Turbo upgrade that might have got erased in this fairly recent extensive project. I get it that those old upgrades were themselves permanent major change to that RSR chassis-- but that originality and authenticity was lost long ago. However it seems at start of this project it still for the most-part had many of the decades old authentic factory Turbo upgrades intended to keep the race car competitive in line with the development direction at the time?

Having worked in professional motorsport I understand race car chassis change! However when I'd finished reading through this particular project on balance it just seemed a pity if much of that "snapshot" from mid 70s factory development of a racing RSR into the racing Turbo evolution got erased; replaced by so much that is essentially new.

I suppose this is just a variation of the perennial: preserve vs full restore debate. Owners prerogative I guess.

Steve

I agree Steve,,,,I wouldn't have touched it !
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

'Preserve vs Restore' vs . . .

. . . 'Whatever'

Won't be the first time someone went to some pains to bring back some otherwise long-gone car . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...423#post898423

. . . although, IMO? . . .

. . . this turbo car 's WAY more significant

Regardless, this current custodian Mr Hayes feels that the earlier iteration 's the more desirable, and? . . .

. . . his car + his money = his choice

Curious what the calculation was, here. 'Cause, the funny thing is --- all the stuff that Gunnar Racing 'll be undoing is 'faktory' . . .

. . . while anything that gets 'preverted'? . . .

. . . isn't

Ref: 9113600576 R5

Surprised that this vendor 's involved with this, too. Hope they document everything that they do . . . + save anything that they cut off

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Re-reverting? . . .

'. . . Metal Panel Adhesive . . . used instead of welding in most modern cars including the GT3-R. We will use this to attach the quarter panels onto the unibody. This will allow us to keep the car much more original if a future owner should choose to change the car back to the Turbo form . . .'

Ugh

We Can Be Heroes

'Martini RSR Conversion
    November 19, 2002
    '

We Can Be Heroes

I loved seeing all the Factory short cuts and horrible welds they uncovered. I love it when people revere the Werks as being on a higher plane, except they were just trying to win races and get done like everybody else. Like when the guy asked the Werks guy if there was a template for drilling the holes in the Carrera Speedster and the Factory guy replied, "Vat, Vat, we drill, we drill, we drill, until we beat Ferrari!"
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Thanks for bringing this old "restoration" back in mind. Especially the front chassis strengthen was done on my car similar, but I have never seen it on other cars.....