Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct LWB Headlight Bucket Available?

Correct LWB Headlight Bucket Available?

Hello,

I am having some repair work done on my '73 fenders, and one of the items is replacement of the headlight buckets, as mine are rusted out at the bottom. This is a RoW '73T, and PET lists the same part for both L & R buckets as 901.631.015.23. Note that for the US market, the left bucket was changed to 911.503.015.15 in 1970 - I suspect this added the mounting tab on the back for the charcoal canister?

I have not been able to find a replacement bucket that matches the harness & drain holes in my '73 bucket. Below is a photo the bucket from one of my fenders (the better one):

Name:  20190611_111119-001.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  100.8 KB

I believe there were originally 4 holes in the bucket as shown in the photo below I found in a classified ad:

Name:  DSC_11971530856784-002.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  11.2 KB

I see that the original part number has been superseded to PCG.631.015.21, which, from the photo below (from Pelican), looks very different than mine and would require some modification to work:

Name:  PCG63101521GRV-M350.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  16.2 KB

However, Restoration Design sells a bucket that they state is for '65-73, but it looks like a G-Series bucket to me:

Name:  RestorationDesignBucket.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  17.7 KB

Does anyone know of a source for new buckets with the correct hole configuration for a '73? If my only option is the RD bucket, will the existing '73 wiring harness work with the placement and size of the holes on their part?

Thanks,
    Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Different number. I believe to be for a G or later. Seems to be sided due to the hump! ( for comparison )
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-17-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Hi Cliff,

I don't know what year that bucket is for - it doesn't look like the one in my '77.

I searched on AASE, and they list the superseded part (901.631.015.23) as the bucket for '65-89. Oddly, the pictures on AASE for 901.631.015.23 look much different than the same part on Pelican. Plus, some pictures show holes similar to the Restoration Design bucket, and some appear to show no holes.

To add some more confusion, there is currently a 901.631.015.23 bucket (the correct number for '73) for sale on eBay, but it only has two holes:

Name:  s-l1600 (22).jpg
Views: 291
Size:  133.1 KB

I guess I'll start calling around to the various vendors tomorrow to see if I can get some answers.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

The fenders were not attached to my '73 when I purchased it, so I don't have a reference of how the harness is routed in the bucket. Based on my searching, my assumption is that I will need a four hole bucket: 1: Wiring harness in; 2: Corner Lights and Horns wiring out; 3: Bolt to Battery Box bracket; 4: Drain Plug. Is this correct?

Does somebody have a photo that they can post that shows the inside of the bucket from a '73?
    Last edited by frankc; 06-18-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

There is only one 'harness' that goes into the headlamp bucket - for the headlamp itself (3 wires). The corner lights/horn wiring that you mention simply connect to those items on their own, i.e. they don't go into and then exit out of any holes in the bucket. You are correct on the drain plug and battery box to fender bracket holes. I purchased a new bucket for my 72 from PORSCHE...fits perfectly, but the 'holes' were a bit different in fact, I had to drill another hole to accommodate either the drain plug or battery to fender bracket but not at all difficult. No one in my opinion is ever going to know the difference if you have to make those adjustments.

mac73s,
    Thanks for clarifying on the wiring for the corner lights & horns not entering the bucket - I just found the L & R headlight harnesses, and see that this makes sense. Originally, I thought they might be routed similarly to that on my '77.

So it looks like technically only three holes are needed. I assume that the smaller hole on the bottom is for the bolt to the battery box, and the headlight wiring enters the bucket from the hole in the back, not one of the bottom holes?
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

I just replaced a right fender bucket for a 73 car. I used a G model bucket that had 4 holes. 2 in the bottom for drain and mounting, 2 in the back for wireing. I welded up one of the back holes as the 73 only needed 1. The G model bucket fit perfectly and looked the same except for the extra hole. Rob

30westrob,
    Thanks for the info. Do you recall which hole in the bottom of the G-series bucket lined up with the mounting bracket on the battery box? I assume it would be the one towards the back as this is the one used in the G-series cars for bolting to the fender bracket, but that hole is in the center of the bucket, where there is no corresponding hole in the old bucket.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Yes, you are correct. On the 73 car the bottom mounting hole is about 1” outboard of the bucket center line. I will have to close 1 of the bottom holes on the G bucket and drill a new mounting hole outboard. The fender is at the body shop for blasting and prime. I also noticed the G bucket wire hole in the back is larger than required for the 73 wire. I think I will just use a larger grommet. I new their were hole differences but the G bucket was an OE rust free, correct shape and a great fit. I hope this helps. Rob