Thread: Snapgap valve adjuster

Snapgap valve adjuster

Has anyone got any experience of using one of these:

https://snapgap.us/collections/front...nt-kit-for-911

Would ike to know if they are worth using...

Thanks

Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Hi Stephen,

I am the developer and owner of SNAPGAP. If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them. Many questions were asked and addressed on another 911 forum -- here. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-10-sec-2.html

That thread also includes this review by a user.

I met Brad at Hershey this year and decided to give the system a shot. It worked exactly as designed in the video. I have previously used the Kirk tool, feeler gauges, and an angle measurement screwdriver... Here's my opinion:

* Kirk tool was too complicated for what it does in my opinion. Great piece of engineering, but too fiddly...
    * Feeler gauges work, but are a pita and require an acquired "feel" gained with experience.
    * Simple screwdriver with angle gauge on it works well with a little practice
    * Snapgap method is pretty much foolproof and is consistent.

I did my last valve adjustment a couple of weeks ago using Snapgap with the engine in the car without issue. First couple of valves I went very slow double checked instructions as I went, but the rest were very quick.

What I like best about the system is dealing with older and inconsistent elephant feet. This is where I always ended up with inconsistencies using feeler gauges. With this system, you just finger tighten the adjuster down, lock the special nut in place, back it out, insert shim and tighten - no guessing. My valves are dead nuts on at this point.

I'm not a paid spokesperson and Brad was super helpful with my questions.

Karl
    In addition, you may find it helpful to watch this 3 minute video explaining how and why SNAPGAP works.

This recent video shows a one handed valve adjustment in one minute and 10 seconds, confirmed with a dial gauge to 0.10 mm accuracy after someone said they would pay admission to see a one handed valve adjustment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tYcrghTy0

These videos, FAQs and a blog about valve adjustments are available on the SNAPGAP site. https://snapgap.us/

Best,

Brad

Thanks for the reply, Brad... I'll head over to Pelican to read the thread!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616