Thread: question about primer colors over the years

question about primer colors over the years

hello,

if it is not too painful, I have a multi-part question about primer colors of the years at Porsche factory. at least up to 1973.

1. was factory primer a red-brown? if so what years?
    2. was primer from reutter and karmann, and others a different color?
    3. was the primer color based on the final color of the car?
    4. did glasurit primer color differ from Lesonal's, etc?
    5 was primer ever light green? and when?
    6. was primer ever light grey?
    7. is there a simple answer to primer colors?

i always thought they used a red-brown and then changed over to a different color. but what do i know.
    my brother's 1973 seems to have light green primer...(maybe they were replacement panels?)
    my metallic gold had red-brown primer...maybe that was or wasn't factory.
    Last edited by Scott A; 06-20-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I recall both my 71 Karmann built and 74 factory built had white-ish primer. But it’s been 20+ years since I stripped them for paint.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Primer colour is critical for high opacity colours such as aubergine. My car, original aubergine, had a light grey primer - FWIW.
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

primer colors are dictated by what color the car is going to be. For example A Tangerine car will get a white primer so the final shade of Tangerine will be correct.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

On 5) yes, it was pea green on some of the SWB colors such as polo red and white. Grey on others such as golf blau

And in 65 Signal red had grey primer then Tangerine base than red
    Membership #3255
    revivem.co.nz

not sure if they changed this over the years. My 1976 911S was viper green from the factory over a yellow undercoat over a black primer.
    Name:  IMG_2621.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  114.5 KB

I’ve just done light yellow undercoat below signal yellow (glasurit) and I believe this was as the original although the 911 was bare metaled when I got it so I only saw this from restorations of similar colors on this forum.
    It certainly makes the top coat zing.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681