Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts Classifieds beginning to look like Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    I didn't say they were any good....., I just said they were slow...
    AS somebody once said to me, who was 'finishing up' my 356: "You can't rush quality!" Unfortunately, you can't rush S*** either....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Nothing wrong with people selling parts that we need.
    (I purchased a part this morning from the seller who motivated me to post this thread. Priceless! Thank you sir.)

Maybe I've got it all wrong? Perhaps members and ESR freeloaders want thousands of trinkets listed weekly?
    So Frank, as someone who enjoys the hunt as well as capitalistic bartering, what kind of parts are people looking for? Stock, aftermarket, rare, NOS, cores?, wheels etc?
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jos.hall View Post
    So Frank, as someone who enjoys the hunt as well as capitalistic bartering, what kind of parts are people looking for? Stock, aftermarket, rare, NOS, cores?, wheels etc?
    Jos, I’m a hoarder not a seller so I can only speak for myself. (When I do sell my $5k min order separates the sheep from the goats so my sales are probably outliers.) I buy rare parts and the mundane. I rarely “need” any of it.
    I freely confess that I have a sickness.

FWIW: I believe there will always be a market for NOS as long as the 2 percenters are around.

Parts here are moving as fast as we can advertise them, and 356 cars are moving. 911's and 912's are dead right now, at least project ones. They are beginning to stack up in the yard. You just have to shift with the market, the last few years 9 series stuff was moving at record prices and the 356's were stacking up.
    This was my UPS load today, all wheels.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    That's very good info. Thanks.

So is it time to start a new site or can this one be fixed?
    I suspect easily fixed. I think the only current problem is the For Sale category. A few well thought-out subcategories, maybe even some hierarchical sub-sub-categories (though that seems like overkill), and most important make the search function category-specific. I think that would be enough. I don't know the technical details, but it can't be too difficult since many other Bulletin Board-style sites are set up that way.

So....

What new sub-sections are of interest?

I have to laugh. Got all sorts of complaints when we split out WTB from FS in early parts.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I have to laugh. Got all sorts of complaints when we split out WTB from FS in early parts.
    Separate issue (and still a bad decision). It reduced the visibility of WTB ads by at lest tenfold. Probably a hundredfold. To make matters worse, posters were advised to no longer begin their titles with "WTB" making their ads confusing to the huge percentage of us that use the "new posts" functionality.

As long as were on the subject of improvements, why don't we do something really useful and get some mobile functionality going on around here before it's too late and some enterprising individual decides to create a competing forum that actually works for the 50% of Internet users who are on a mobile device. Hell, I'd even pay for it.

Create an ebay like bidding system here. I missed the NOS door striker yesterday

Use the ‘Advanced Search’ function to narrow your search to only one sub-section such as classified parts for sale.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post

As long as were on the subject of improvements, why don't we do something really useful and get some mobile functionality going on around here before it's too late and some enterprising individual decides to create a competing forum that actually works for the 50% of Internet users who are on a mobile device. Hell, I'd even pay for it.
    In this demographic I have to believe it’s much higher than 50%. Maybe more like 70?
    Would love to see that survey.

As for a “bidding” process for parts... put me down for a no. Venues already exist for lazy buyers with big egos who don’t mind being squeezed for every last penny. Paying the absolute most for a thing is against my religion.
    However... once I start selling off my inventory I may reconsider this.