Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts Classifieds beginning to look like Craigslist

Banned
    Devil’s advocate:
    What is the primary benefit to the forum entity in becoming a member?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Devil’s advocate:
    What is the primary benefit to the forum entity in becoming a member?
    For some (maybe more than some) nothing, why buy the cow when the milk is for free... for others because it's the right thing to do.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    General Section; 5 days worth of posts on first page
    Technical Section; 5 days worth of posts on first page
    Cars for Sale; About 3 weeks worth of posts on first page

Parts for sale: About 12 hours on first page......

Note that if the guy with a multi-colored keyboard wasn't posting this board would be about as lively as the Borgward forum...(not that there's anything wrong with Borgwards, I think they are pretty cool....).

From what I hear some of the restoration folks (the ones that are more prolific) are really slooooowwww. Still a lot of long lead times at the top end of the food chain. My local mechanics shop that I spend a fair amount of time at is basically "slammed". Not sure what all of this means. I'm busy, could be busier if I wanted to be, but I have another "life" that has me swamped.

e
    Can't stop laughing at that line !!!!!!

Lightbulb

For some (maybe more than some) nothing, why buy the cow when the milk is for free... for others because it's the right thing to do.
    And of course that's the premise we've been working with from the beginning...

However with the registered message board membership increasing, and the paid membership for S Registry somewhat consistent, we're not sure how long this model can continue...

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joegt3cup View Post
    Maybe my question was poorly worded...

The primary benefit from membership for the entity that owns the forum is obviously financial support.

Given that, as long as classified advertisers (non businesses) are giving generously (at least what membership dues run) then membership shouldn't be a requirement for placing ads.

The secondary benefit (debatable) is input and content contribution from readers. Without that what could this forum have to offer besides T shirts and goodies?

Lightbulb

Given that, as long as classified advertisers (non businesses) are giving generously (at least what membership dues run) then membership shouldn't be a requirement for placing ads.
    Hmmm … Still not getting it Frank

The above assumes that the majority of the person to person non-business advertisers on the classified forums on this board are giving generously back the club? … In other words, do you assume that the majority of the personal advertisers on the board are also paid yearly members of the club?

If that were only the case...

Realizing that that ESR message board is public and 'free', and the ESR club that runs it is subsidized by it's membership... the hope is one will 'feed' the other and not 'cannibalizing' it.... Yes?

I'm really trying to get it... really

Oh,
    The secondary benefit (debatable) is input and content contribution from readers.
    In my eyes THIS has been the primary reason/benefit of this board...

And yes, I realize that at any given time the classifieds run between 65 and 85% of the traffic/content on the board....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

And the ESSES magazine....

Hoping to get more comments on discussion board categorization. Thanks in advance!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Hmmm … Still not getting it Frank

The above assumes that the majority of the person to person non-business advertisers on the classified forums on this board are giving generously back the club? … In other words, do you assume that the majority of the personal advertisers on the board are also paid yearly members of the club?

If that were only the case...

Realizing that that ESR message board is public and 'free', and the ESR club that runs it is subsidized by it's membership... the hope is one will 'feed' the other and not 'cannibalizing' it.... Yes?

I'm really trying to get it... really

Oh, In my eyes THIS has been the primary reason/benefit of this board...

And yes, I realize that at any given time the classifieds run between 65 and 85% of the traffic/content on the board....

cm
    Hate to sound like a wide-eyed school boy but just to confirm: Most personal advertisers are not contributing financially as a member or non-member?

Since you have this data I say cut them off. No advertising unless they’re offering financial support.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . just to confirm: Most personal advertisers are not contributing financially as a member or non-member?

Since you have this data I say cut them off. No advertising unless they’re offering financial support
    . . .

Hear-hear

I'm in the 'do what's right' faction, here --- and I pay my dues just to support The Registry

On the other hand, I happen to think that the very best stuff on this site is free --- histories + comments + details + pics that show-up exactly nowhere else . . . so if all people wanna do here is drift in + browse . . . 's fine with me

But. If someone 's coming here to sell their stuff? --- then I think it's only fair that they pay for the privilege . . . and paying the modest amount that a membership costs (+ for access to this audience) seem trivial

Time for a poll, maybe?

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hear-hear

Time for a poll, maybe? ............
    Ok, I vote that the first posting for any item for sale is free. Charge five bucks for every bump. And, for the shameless ones that start a new thread for the same crap to avoid the bump limit, charge a $100 penalty.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-24-2019 at 03:38 PM.