Thread: Fuel leak issues - 1973 911 2.4TV

Fuel leak issues - 1973 911 2.4TV

Hi all,
    I've got a euro 1973 911 2.4 TV (zenith carbs) that until last year had the standard airfilter mounted.
    As it is plastic and warped from over 40 years of backfires, my mechanic recommended to replace it with these new PMO airfilters. I keep the original part for future car shows/originality.
    Anyway, as part of this change, I asked my mechanic to replace all fuel lines. Ever since however, I've been having issues, once on the right hand side, now twice on the left.
    we went from carbon washers, to copper now back to the 'paper' ones. I know they're not paper, but they look like they're made of sandpaper and are a little more flexible.
    After not having driven the car for 6 weeks, it leaked heavily on the two bolts as indicated in the picture. It was that I smelled it just 2 km into my drive, otherwise it may have gone up in flames...

Name:  Z82470259_2756693417727027_4902921067800035328_o.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  183.0 KB

Q1: what are others using here? People I talk to seem to say the copper washers are best, but in my case that didn't work out good either.

Then when I slightly tightened these two bolts (only gave them a 60-70 degree turn) the leak seems fixed.
    I doubt that vibration or temperature changes can cause this, as the original washers were of this material and for over 10 years they've been functioning without any leaks.

I did notice then, when i turned the key to get the fuel pump going, that the rear end of the white cylinder (fuel filter?) was leaking badly too. Tightened the clamp to fix it, but...

Q2: Is this the standard installation, and should i put this filter on the other side of the system, e.g: closer to the fuel tank in the front, in order to reduce the amount of connections and hence, leaks?

Name:  Z83593456_2756693437727025_602057241264128000_o.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  190.3 KB

thanks! Patrick
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

So you tightened the bolts and the clamps and your leaks stopped? Then you should be good to go. Just keep an eye on them and tighten as necessary. I use copper washers. They seal well as long as the surfaces are all flat. The carbs run relatively low fuel pressure, so you should not have a problem there. It is normal to have the fuel filter in the back between the fuel pump and the engine. Good place to keep an eye on it, Stoddards sells a nice Bosch, inline, metal fuel filter you might consider.
    Just as a general principle in old cars, I assume you carry a fire extinguisher?
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    After not having driven the car for 6 weeks, it leaked heavily on the two bolts as indicated in the picture. It was that I smelled it just 2 km into my drive, otherwise it may have gone up in flames...

Q1: what are others using here? People I talk to seem to say the copper washers are best, but in my case that didn't work out good either.

Then when I slightly tightened these two bolts (only gave them a 60-70 degree turn) the leak seems fixed.
    I doubt that vibration or temperature changes can cause this, as the original washers were of this material and for over 10 years they've been functioning without any leaks.

I did notice then, when i turned the key to get the fuel pump going, that the rear end of the white cylinder (fuel filter?) was leaking badly too. Tightened the clamp to fix it, but...
    Copper is fine, but it's easy to forget how much tougher a material it is than aluminum, and therefore..

If you take out the bolts.. using a flat of some kind and 150 paper, or 220, carefully sand the 'area' receiving the washers, then the washers themselves, to have nice seal without requiring a high torque on the fitting.

Filter - hopefully each male end to the hose is a snug fit, where it does not depend too heavily on the clamp? Also, the stainless Nora clamps should work better than most others for the filter.

thanks for the replies guys,
    I do have a fire extinguisher on board, but I doubt it will be enough if things do go pear shaped.
    I'll for sure keep on monitoring this, as it is a really scary thought to have fuel leaking on a hot engine/exhaust.
    Last edited by patrick911; 01-21-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

I would put in a metal filter.
    The fittings on the plastic one may already have a crack.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I would put in a metal filter.
    The fittings on the plastic one may already have a crack.
    Also, shouldn't the filter be supported by a clamp so that the fittings aren't supporting the filter

Anneal the copper washers with heat to soften them up, they get work hardened and do not seal as they should. second on ditch the plastic filter for steel unit, and a couple of tie wraps to hold in place.
    Current fleet, mostly rubbish automobiles and other assorted junk.

Machine..

Anneal..