Thread: Gas Tank Color for MY1969

Gas Tank Color for MY1969

I have a very early production E that has had a later gas tank fitted for longer range. The tank is black and I would like to finish it in the factory grey color. I do not know what year the tank is from or whether it came from the factory black or the PO painted it. It is the style that takes a space saver spare. The tank's SKS coating is in pretty good shape overall so I do not plan to strip it of that coating. I am thinking of shooting a grey paint over the top of that. I would welcome any suggestions for color choice and a recommended primer. Thanks!
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I think all '69 trunks and tanks are black.
    Early S Registry #913

That's true, but he has a later short hood tank, and those tanks were all gray. So Scott,,,,do you go with year of car,,,,or year of tank
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Use gray tank color as it is correct for that part.

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    . . . have a very early production E that has had a later gas tank fitted for longer range . . . . would welcome any suggestions for color choice and a recommended primer . . .
    Hey, Scott . . .

Dunno 'bout the primer part, but as for color . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post508719

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for that link Rick, but all it did was raise questions. The pic on the first page that shows a small bit of tank appears to be glossy grey - no textured finish. However, later in the thread it was questioned by a long time, knowledgeable member and Bryce responded that it was, in fact, textured. Hmmm...

Ed, thanks for chiming in here. What color is Bob A's tank on his 69E? His is two VIN numbers from mine.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

'69 Gas Tank Finish

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    . . . Thanks for that link Rick, but all it did was raise questions. The pic on the first page that shows a small bit of tank appears to be glossy grey - no textured finish. However, later in the thread it was questioned by a long time, knowledgeable member and Bryce responded that it was, in fact, textured. Hmmm . . .
    Try this one? . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=1#post1004581

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Well, there ya go, textured grey. Now to find the proper shade. Still would like to hear from Ed on Bob's car.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I seem to remember Bob's being black,,,but I'm basing color on that you have a later tank.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.