Thread: 70 911 in need of ring set for Kolbenschmidt Pistons

70 911 in need of ring set for Kolbenschmidt Pistons

Looking for a set of rings for the standard 911T 2.2 liter 84mm 1.5x2.0x5.0. Received a set of Deves Rings, but customer hesitant to use due to comments about smoking. Anyone with a set NOS Kolbenschmidt Rings they would be willing to part with. Any other recommendations?
    Thanking you in advance for any leads.
    Rusty

Banned
    Rusty, Rusty, Rusty...

Don’t let cheap customers ruin your rep.

Re-ringing a 2.2 successfully is a fool’s errand.

Buy new Mahle 2.2S p’s & c’s and knock the compression down.

thanks Frank. That would sure work for me. I even have a nice set of 2.2S Piston on the shelf (not new). Will see what I can do.
    Hope all is well,
    Rusty

Why is re-ringing 2.2 pistons a waste of time?
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Banned
    Over the last 35-40 years we’ve tried it no fewer than 5 times. Perhaps one didn’t smoke. Goetze rings on all and taper/bore within spec.

I don’t like those odds and refuse to end up with a motor that smokes again. Brand new Mahles GUARANTEE that it won’t smoke. Why take a chance for a measly $4k?

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    What Frank says, 100%.

Thanks for the advice--guess I will break out my new Mahle set when I rebuild the 2.2S. Chris
    2. '70 911S Tangerine

But now the question on which machine shop for the case work? Ollies or Competition Engineering. Both as good? Chris
    2. '70 911S Tangerine

Banned
    Chris,
    Both are great companies and will do a fantastic job for you. Ask what their backlog is... I have a hunch that may make your decision much easier.

Rings: The iron cylinder sleeves simply don’t lend well to successful re-ringing. However Nikasil is fantastic. We do a lot of top end rebuilds on 3.6 & 3.2 and the rings are typically fully seated within 1k miles. (2.7 & 3.0’s are usually too high in mileage to chance re-ringing.)