Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch

Banned
    It’s no different here David. Plus I drive a semi back and forth across the country.

All pretty boring.

Banned
    That’s interesting Chuck although I don’t understand at all what your point is.

You’re somehow saying because I made a joke that it will become reality? Will it be me that does this or someone else?

Curious, does the Morgan in the video have disc or drum brakes, not that it makes any diff, he still hit the rear of a car for failure to maintain control of his car. Also, I am assuming the 2018 Morgan's don't have ABS. And were the rear brakes working at all? No smoke no nothing from them.

Tailgating and Other Oddities

I don't do as much driving as you do Frank, but I do have a 50 mile round trip commute to and from the office. The majority of the drivers I see each day are clueless, not paying attention, eyes are focused on the front edge of their hood, phone or other distraction in the cockpit. What's worse is the distance people maintain between their car and the car in front of them, or should I phrase it as lack of distance. And don't get me started on tailgaters. I'll give them a brake check, a finger or two and then make room for them to pass.
    I drive in the right lane. I pass in the left lane. Most idiots don't even know that simple rule. Forgive me for ranting, but a driver's license is not a right. It's a license and you must earn it.

For me, driving on the street is a pure combat mission. I'm constantly checking my blind spots and six o'clock postion. Not to mention the idiot 10 cars back weaving through traffice with one hand on the wheel and the other with a phone to an ear doing 90 mph in a 65 mph in HEAVY traffic. Driving on the track is much more comfortable because I know the majority of the peeps on the track with me and their driving techniques. You take your life in your own hands when you drive in public. Just sayin. And when we take out precious, expensive and unobtainable cars on the public highways I focus.

While we are at it, let's rant about peeps that drive cars that have loose parts that fall off, wouldn't pass inspection in Lithuania, and have three bald tires, a spare donut and three kids in the back seat with no restraints..... Darwin has his place.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMan View Post
    I don't do as much driving as you do Frank, but I do have a 50 mile round trip commute to and from the office. The majority of the drivers I see each day are clueless, not paying attention, eyes are focused on the front edge of their hood, phone or other distraction in the cockpit. What's worse is the distance people maintain between their car and the car in front of them, or should I phrase it as lack of distance. And don't get me started on tailgaters. I'll give them a brake check, a finger or two and then make room for them to pass.
    I drive in the right lane. I pass in the left lane. Most idiots don't even know that simple rule. Forgive me for ranting, but a driver's license is not a right. It's a license and you must earn it.

For me, driving on the street is a pure combat mission. I'm constantly checking my blind spots and six o'clock postion. Not to mention the idiot 10 cars back weaving through traffice with one hand on the wheel and the other with a phone to an ear doing 90 mph in a 65 mph in HEAVY traffic. Driving on the track is much more comfortable because I know the majority of the peeps on the track with me and their driving techniques. You take your life in your own hands when you drive in public. Just sayin. And when we take out precious, expensive and unobtainable cars on the public highways I focus.

While we are at it, let's rant about peeps that drive cars that have loose parts that fall off, wouldn't pass inspection in Lithuania, and have three bald tires, a spare donut and three kids in the back seat with no restraints..... Darwin has his place.
    Yesterday I ended up following a truck on a single carriageway road with solid medians where the tail shutter wasn't fully closed. There was a hard case or something sliding back and forth a hair or two too tall to get under gap but was ramming the shutter --worrying as he drove it hard. Fortunately it didn't break lose but wasn't comfortable experience and required plenty of distance. Didn't get chance to alert him due to the routes but doubt he much care

Banned
    Most truck drivers are true professionals who care deeply about their jobs and the safety of others. Unfortunately there will always be a few bad apples to give the industry a black eye.

As far as street driving being scary because of other drivers?

When test driving early cars in a spirited manner I am MUCH MORE concerned about lack of safely equipment (as David mentioned) than I am other drivers. Our cars are incredibly ill equipped in the event of a mishap. Still can’t believe the Morgan driver is alive.

In 2005 while racing at Daytona a guy in another 914-6 blew T1 and turned up track in T6. I T-boned him. Seeing his battery turn into a projectile and sailing 100’ down the banking confirmed to me more than ever of the importance of securing EVERYTHING properly. Street cars especially.

Destroyed 2 original 914-6 cars that day and sent two guys to the hospital. Fortunately no permanent injuries although I believe that was the other driver’s last day of racing.

Amazing crush zone on the Morgan. Must be the resiliant oak framing although that flying bonnet is scary.