Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering column noise?

Steering column noise?

On a 71T, a slight clunk noise at about half a turn each side. Checked the damper and all is tight and right there. Also checked the two universals and replaced the lower one. No movement in the tie rod ends. The noise seems to be in the upper steering column and wondering that tis can be? The bushing?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Yes, probably bushing! Had the same issue a few years ago
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

There’s a bushing at the upper steering column?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

My thoughts too, but there seems NOT to be a bushing at the top of the column? I believe that the bushing is on the 75+ models?
    Last edited by Merv; 06-28-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Any images of a 70-72 steering shaft from the top, with the wheel removed?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Thanks Jesse and James. Seems no other takers here. Will try other forums.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Sorry,,,not going to disassemble my car for picture,,,,but I do have one question, has the steering rack been raised for the bump steer cure?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

65-73 cars share the upper bearing design for the steering column.

The upper bearing (914.347.71100) is expensive and from time to time can separate and cause problems.

I have seen bearings where the snap ring that holds the tracks together has moved allowing the two halves to misalign.

When this happens the loose ball bearings can fall into the column and into the lower bearing.

When we replace the lower bearing we use a bearing with 2 x shields to prevent this from happening.

It is quite easy to rebuild the upper bearings with new balls and fresh grease and then re-install.

The steering wheel is used to remove the clearance and the 'steutzring' ( third photo) is used to do this job. For some reason they are often missing.

it helps to use a puller to remove the upper bearing from the column.

Excellent thanks Bill and Ed. The car (71) we (friend and me) are working on is the same as the handy images you have provided Bill. There is no bump steer device fitted to this car thanks Ed. The inner ring as shown above at the top of the column seems intact and the the ring turns easily. The column is not nicely centred in the tube as I would have liked however. The click noise is certainly in the upper column. All other parts are there and correctly sequenced. I was reluctant to remove the whole upper column without being sure of the source. I can find some minor play now in the top universal joint where the shaft exits the firewall (this is a RHD car) and that seems to be an issue I believe. I had replaced the lower universal already as it had play in it. This may or may not be the final solution however!

Appreciated.

Merv
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

The main shaft is never well centred into the upper bearing and is normally free to move radially.

It is centred by the hub on the steering wheel and the steutzring.

There is also a bearing half way along the lower steering shaft and these are quite often jammed. They use a needle roller bearing which has a 14000rpm capability and when the housing fills with crud the needles jam and they skid on the shaft. - Quite a poor design really.