Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare parts pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    We always offer 100% refunds so if he isn't happy, he can return it. We only have and want happy customers.

---Adam
    As it should be.

My answer....it's worth what someone will pay for the part.

It's a balancing act between getting a fair value for both the seller and buyer.
    You don't want to give away the part and you don't want to die with the part.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Banned
    The mantra “You don’t want to die with the part” is a popular one.

I actually know men who love their “things” so much that they want to enjoy them while they’re alive, don’t need the money, and have no problem selfishly leaving the burden of liquidation to loved ones after their corpses are rotting in a grave. You may ask “How is it enjoyable to own parts til one dies?”

A guy said to me a while back “If I got rid of all my parts no one would talk to me.”

How very sad that a human being’s identity is defined by their “stuff” rather than their character, relationships, and soul. Zero possibility for a meaningful legacy there.

BTW: When potential buyers are shocked at my ridiculous prices I tell them straight up; the price of the part is the same as it was when new. It’s that 30-40 year storage bill that’s the killer.

It depends how badly the dash was cracked but, in general, I wouldn’t change the original dash out of a nice original driver 911RS or 914/6 with minor cracks for an uncracked replacement from some other car. I certainly wouldn’t pay a high premium for the pleasure because it would always wrangle me that the nice new looking part was actually an imposter.

A bit like I wouldn’t pay thousands of dollars for a new perfectly shaped, blemish-free nose. It might look nice and the overall appearance improved but it wouldn’t be my nose and I wouldn’t have a story to tell when people ask why mine is so bent.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I love to Jump into Frank Beck's threads because they are always interesting and entertaining. For the most part I sell my NOS or used rare parts at a premium to 99% of the world, but to the one Pcar nut like ourselves, my premium price is a steal because they need it. And if I die with all my rare parts, great, my kids get a step in basis on the parts. Word for the wise, and to keep interested family members happy, spend some time writing up a quick note on the part, the part history (including how you acquired it) why it's rare and how you came up w the price. When you are feeding worms you're kids or beneficiaries will have a good place to start. My oldest son tells me, "Dont' worry Dad, keep buying and don't sell anything. I use it one day." My oldest son is the only one in my immediate family with the interests in early P cars. The other kids can have my cash when I'm gone.

Mike, I'm guessing ....bent nose=
    rugby?

Agree why buy a classic car and erase all patina -- seems odd.

A rusty wreck or trashed threadbare interior different story but why otherwise. A guy bought a 250 GTO and then had interior redone looked brand new.-- too new like a modern car iso a little incongrouous. Alongside the other used careworn GTOs at Goodwood revival lineup it was least attractive in a gridfull of the expensive but used things. Could've assumed it was a replica in any other surrounding. Owner preogative yes it will wear in again etc but it got a Meh relative to others in my book.

What gets my goat on parts pricing is when folks blow smoke and confuse issue in description and use of part nos confusingly to make part seem rarer or unique to or applicable for the more expensive model (such as RS in early 911 series).Doing so apparantly to inflate asking prices. Dodgy if not true part but also can confuse some on what the original genuine proper factory spec part is which is irritating. Seen it on 380 wheels H4s with parking lights toolkits etc etc
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-03-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post

Agree why buy a classic car and erase all patina -- seems odd.
    You’re kidding, right?

Why do some men not only approve of but fund plastic surgery for their wife or girlfriend?

Why is it “cool” to have an old car but not an old wife?
    Lol

My My what an absolutely superficial world we live in.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 07-03-2019 at 05:27 AM.

That’s a cracking joke Frank.
    Otherwise we are on different planets.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    That’s a cracking joke Frank.
    Otherwise we are on different planets.

Regards
    Mike
    lol

There is no doubt in my mind we're in different worlds Mike.

Frank
    In your mind, is it ever appropriate to restore ?
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-03-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?

Live everyday like it's your last .
    Eventually you'll be right.