Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Question:
    The recently restored R6 Martini car has a detail that I've only noticed now, and can't really explain.
    The Martini logo on the rear has a white stripe on both the top and bottom of the "PORSCHE" text, but it doesn't cover the full distance of the letters.
    Any idea why that is and if this is even period correct?
    I can't find any period pictures of the rear of the Targa Florio winning car, but when R6 was still owned by Peter Kitchak and in LeMans trim, it did have it as one would expect; covering the complete text.

I'm hoping to put my car in paint in the next few months, so like to do this correct obviously.

Name:  35.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  55.4 KB
    Restored R6

Name:  Porsche-911-Carrera-RSR-88263.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  108.2 KB
    R6 in Le Mans costume at Pebble Beach in 2003
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

patrick
    these photos seem to show it only part way across - whether or not it started that way and a piece came off I dont know but this is what it looked like competing in the event
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Excellent, thanks Hugh
    I couldn't find any pictures of the back of that car!
    So both the recent restoration of the real car and the GT-Spirit 1:18 scale car have got it right.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Another delivery received. Yay! My seats are finally here!

As most here will know, the RSRs in 1973 were delivered with the so-called RSR seat, with an optional headrest. These seats were covered in a fire-retardant material (Perlon/Nylon) whilst the headrest was in the standard leatherette.
    However, Porsche did start to experiment in 1973, during the season, with the lollipop seat, which from 1974 onward became standard fitment in the works racing cars (incl 935s & 924s).

So I ordered a lollipop in this Perlon material for the driver seat, and a RSR seat (with headrest) for the passenger.
    I don't know if the factory cars had the headrests (probably not as it adds weight), but from a safety perspective, I just need to fit one.
    Ordered 6 months ago from GTS classics, and man do they look awesome or what?

Name:  seat-00.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  187.2 KBName:  seat-01.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  157.6 KB

For the purists: The R6 Martini car that Maxted-Page restored has a 5-point harness for the driver, whereas most RSRs I've seen had the 4-point REPA one for the RSR seat. I suppose they may have moved to a 5-point during that season, as the lollipop does have the hole in the seat to accommodate, but I don't know exactly when they made that move. My excuse for using a 4-point for this seat too is that I figure that this change may have happened later, as the lollipop seat was just introduced either at or just before they ran the Targa Florio. Just out of interest, does anyone know what it should be?

Name:  seat-04.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  140.8 KB
    Picture from the 'Carrera RS book' by Konradsheim, showing the interior, and RSR seat, of a light blue RSR.

Edit: the harnesses are those Dave sells/sold ('stretch' here on the board). They are very nice and do look the part!
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-01-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added comment
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Stefan does make great seats no doubt.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Spent last Saturday at the workshop doing some more sanding.
    I also took a few pictures of the updates made over the last few weeks, and I brought the Lollipop in so we could verify if the new F-series brackets were going to be on the right spot...or not.
    I also brought in the washer bottle (the 2nd one) and 2 rubber battery straps, so we could figure out what to do.
    As I may have mentioned, the right rear shock reinforcement does not allow for the bottle to sit nicely. Using heat we modified the first bottle I bought to make it work, but it looks dodgy, plus I don't want to risk this thing leaking when the car is ready, so, just like the factory figured out in 1972/1973, we have no choice but to follow their lead and cut a corner into that reinforcement bracket to make things fit.

I love how the metal plate put over the spring plate - as can be seen from other RSR period pictures - had turned out and I've asked Jason to not hammer it too neatly; I love the way it looks now, but I know he struggles as he wants the car to look as nice as possible; it's his reputation after all.

Name:  IMG_3544.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  76.9 KBName:  IMG_3550.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  48.0 KB

The footrest is put in place as well, and i was puzzled (and a bit worried) about how upright it sits, but Jason showed me numerous period pictures and it does look really identical... anyone else knows/has pictures of it?

Name:  IMG_3551.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  55.9 KBName:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  68.6 KB

Finally, we noticed two more G-series details that will bug if we don't fix 'm. The glove-compartment has no lid on for the RSR obviously, but the top left corner differs from that of an F-series car; so we need to adjust it. Also, the cigarette-lighter hole needs to be filled, so a few little things to do, but I reckon we'll be ready for paint before the end of the year. Looking forward to that!

Name:  IMG_3555.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  104.7 KBName:  IMG_3564b.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  112.7 KB
    ^ see corner glove compartment in red circle.

Name:  IMG_3566.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  74.7 KB
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-13-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: picture trouble
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Does anyone know or have pictures of the rear flares and specifically if and till what point they rolled the edges?
    We rolled them apart from the lower ends of the flares (on both sides) but we aren't sure if the lower parts completely rolled too?

This is the only clear picture i could find (RSR 0847) where the lower ends are visibly not rolled.

Name:  RSR_0847_rearflare.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  91.2 KB
    ^source: pbase
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-14-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling + added picture
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Name:  IMG_3544.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  76.9 KB
    ....great thread Patrick and some really interesting reference photos.......out of curiosity did you use a jig when fitting the brackets for the short trailing arms or just take the measurements from the Dempsey book?

Btw, my arches are rolled as per the photo you attached. Not sure where Barry took his reference from but he's done quite a few.

Cheers,

Hi Darren,

thanks mate, I personally think the arches look better if the lower part isn't rolled, so I'll use the one RSR picture and your example as guideline.

Regarding the fitment of the extension brackets; we took measurements from various sources and books,
    but I know Jason (my metal guy) took a few measurements from a real RSR a while ago, specifically for the rear flare positioning and form, but I'm sure he had a look at this too.

Little update.
    There was a loop on the left rear side in the engine bay which turned out to be CIS specific (so it had to go), we fixed the shock reinforcement to make the bottle fit and the left top corner of the glove compartment was fixed to look like that of an F-series. Jason is still working on the mounting for the seats, which is difficult as the screw mechanism has to be fitted in from the side, then kept in position with a bolt before closing the gap in the sides.
    Anyway, we're getting there. Slowly.

Name:  IMG_3603.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  59.0 KBName:  IMG_3604.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3605.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  66.1 KB
    Last edited by patrick911; 10-17-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added pictures
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T