Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My Martini RSR build project

Hmmm, they're nice Doug. now you've got me thinking
    I'll better check what's available here in Australia and what's allowed.

There's a few jobs to complete before the sandblasting and priming can happen, but progress is being made.
    I’ve asked my metal guy Jason to get rid of the metal tubes used for the hood mechanisms; they were removed for the RSRs as they’re not used and only add weight.
    Other jobs to do were closing the fuel-filler opening in the front left wing, welding the front latch panel to the added F-series front sides, welding the crow feet (ST-classic) for the roll bar onto the chassis and getting rid of the last bits of underside protection.

Name:  IMG_3238.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3239.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3242.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  87.3 KB

A new piece of metal was required to be welded in for the dual cylinder pedal assembly.
    A nice piece of kit I purchased from TwinSpark racing in the Netherlands. The RSR had a dual cylinder system so that the brake balance between the front and rear could be changed between races so obviously that needed to go in.

Name:  IMG_3224.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  38786287_1880668851996159_2744691222646882304_n.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  150.8 KB

Name:  image_22816.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  125.3 KB
    Extract from the Konradsheim RS book on the dual cylinder use in RSRs.

There’s more metal work to be done, like adding the gusset plates for the left-hand side transmission oil cooler lines and the welding on of the RSR axle mounts for the shortened trailing arms, but they will all be done after the car is primed and off the rotisserie.
    Can’t wait for it to come back in primer!

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Hmmm, they're nice Doug. now you've got me thinking
    I'll better check what's available here in Australia and what's allowed.
    I've ordered a set of 235's for the front and 285's for the rear.
    They are coming from Europe and I should have them in the next week or so.
    Once I get them, they'll be mounted up on my 15x9 and 15x11 Fuchs (not Braids) and I'll get some pics and thoughts posted.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Loving the detail in this thread, keep it coming

One of the parts I enjoy most of this project is when you run into a 5-year old thread, read a throwaway comment of a member, message him to ask if he still has those parts, and end up with yet another unused NOS part that was used on the '73 RSRs.
    In this case i managed to score 2 dry breaks, that will go on the 120L fuel cell as per Martini works cars.

Name:  XX2.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  28.0 KB
    Name:  XX1.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  76.8 KB
    for reference: this is a picture of the recently restored R6 car.

The other items I received last week were the RSR emergency brakes, that should fit the Zuffenhaus 917 style calipers that are on order and two ignition coils.
    Looking forward to the media blasting & priming that's planned for next Wednesday!

I am still waiting on pictures from the car now it's supposedly been media blasted and primed but spend some time over the weekend to read the Konradsheim RS book once again to ensure I got the details right.
    A few interesting things popped up.

the first one is related to the front fenders. My metal guy convinced me that the later RSRs all had GRP front fenders and I sort of trusted him on that, but it never sat well with me.
    I was of the opinion that this is one of the shortcuts that a lot of people use for a replica.
    However, the book indicates that RSR #784 was delivered from the factory with GRP front fenders. This car is well documented as it raced extensively in Australia and is easily recognizable by the 3 louvres on each side on the fenders.
    The book also says that during the winter of 1972/1973 a lot of racing RSRs were upgraded to use more GRP parts in order to reduce even more weight. The book indicates that aprt from the roof the majority of parts would be plastic on those cars.
    Now I doubt that R6 had the plastic flares at the Targa, but at least my project remains in line with the thinking and modifications they made at the time.

Name:  hot 911.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  57.4 KB
    Picture of #784 (source: pbase)

Other details I spotted when studying pictures and the Konradsheim book were:
    - This car did not have the 'Weltmeister' or CANAM sticker on the right quarter window;
    - R6 had a 250kph speedo (and not the later 300kmh) at the Targa
    - R6 did have the 10K rev dial (with an orange redline indicator taped on at 8K)
    - On the multipurpose dial, R6 had the ‘Oel’ indicator higher up, not immediately above the VDO script
    - R6 had the shortened trailing arms (although this became homologated and standard from 3/73 onward for other cars)
    - R6 had no black mesh in the front RSR bumper (it looks silver coloured)
    - R6 had no reflectors on the rear RSR bumper when it ran at the Targa (although it still had them when it race at Monza in April)
    - it had the 'needle caps' on all 4 dials taped over (to prevent glare).
    - Dashboard panel had a felt covering.
    - It had three tape rows on top side of windshield

On Saturday I received the dry breaks that I got from Keith (Thanks!) - anyone know how you refuel a car at a regular service station with these things?
    Name:  dry break 1.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  259.0 KBName:  dry break 2.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  192.3 KB

Finally, it looks as if Gijs van Lennep is in Sicily with a Maxted page crew to shoot footage of R6 on those awesome Targa Florio roads. I'm not on Instagram but the maxted page instagram feed has got some great clips and pictures, which friends kindly enough keep forwarding to me...

Update:
    the car had to be put in the queue due to bad weather so it all took a bit longer, but it's media blasted now and put in primer.
    Not only does it finally start to look like we're on the way up, it also really shows the hard work put in over the last year to strip the car of its seam sealer and PVC protection layer as well as the various modifications done to the bodywork.
    Next step will be to get the car back to the workshop and start sanding... filling, and sanding a bit more. At least that's a job that I can participate in, so really looking forward to that.

Name:  IMG_3275.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3276.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3277.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3278.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  60.3 KB

A few more:

Name:  IMG_3279.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3280.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3281.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3282.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  74.8 KB

That's a glorious looking shell Patrick, congrats

Not a biggie although being as detailed as you are it might be a good time to back date the rear slam panel and remove the small rectangular pressing on the left.....I missed that on my Mongrel build and fixed it only after the car was complete!

Cheers,

thanks Darren, yeah, I noticed that in the picture.
    Didn't notice that before at all, and seeing that Jason covered all the holes and other G-series specific items, it's good to fix that too.
    The rest of the panel is correct for an F-series car, or not? I checked for the rounded edges but they seem OK to me.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  59.6 KB
    Picture of the R6 restoration ^^

Real happy with the basis; I knew there was not a lot of rust but that it was this good and only a few pieces of surface rust was a pleasant surprise.