Thread: 1972 drivers door panel and door stop removal/replacement

1972 drivers door panel and door stop removal/replacement

I just removed my antennae on my 1972 and had to unpin the doorstop to get the door open enough to slide out the antennae, during the process the door stop seems to have recoiled into the door and I can’t get it to pull out (problem 1-any help is appreciated )

So I decided to go ahead and take off the original drivers door panel to try to get too it from inside ( I was planning on replacing with rs style doors next weekend anyway) I removed the two Allen bolts under the arm rest and I removed the door pocket but the panel seems to still be connected to the door . Is there a third bolt for the armrest or doorlatch that I am missing . Also I can’t seem to remove the lower front of the panel. Am I missing another screw that is holding that ?

Thanks in advance
    Todd

There are three arm rest bolts. You undo the bungee, let the door pocket flip down, then reach behind the door panel with a 10mm wrench and remove the nut holding the rear of the forward map pocket. Now what is left are the plastic clips holding door panel to the door.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed. Thanks. I never would have found that ! Any tips on pulling the door stay out to hook back with he pin

Unless some piece/component of the door stay broke, the door stay arm should not be able to recoil inside the door. When you have the door card/panel removed, just grab a flash light and take a look inside. They are easily removed to be replaced or rebuilt if needed.

Mac73s

Thanks. The door stay had just fully retracted. I took off the door stay with the two Allen bolts and pulled the “arm “ back out over the rollers and reinstalled

Good news - glad it worked out..always good when a project ends well!

Next time that happens, the trick I use is a zip tie through the hinge post mount and the hole in the stop arm. Close the door as far as you can, tightening the zip tie (needle nose pliers help) and then open the door. The stop arm will emerge.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute