Thread: Help with removal of steering wheel

Help with removal of steering wheel

Good morning all,
    I need to remove this steering wheel without damaging anything .
    I need to start from the central hub, is this on clips or those it screw on a thread?
    When I remove this hub , probably all will be revealed , unless there are more hidden elements.
    And yes aluminium pedal covers have been removed ;-) ......proper radio to be fitted next

Thank you in advanceName:  DSC_0260 (2).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  70.6 KB
    PORSCHE 911S '66

Removing the batwing/hub is simple - just grab it and rotate it to the left about 1/4 turn and you will feel it release. The steering wheel is held in place with a large nut and washer...mark its position on the splined shaft and pull straight off.

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Removing the batwing/hub is simple - just grab it and rotate it to the left about 1/4 turn and you will feel it release. The steering wheel is held in place with a large nut and washer...mark its position on the splined shaft and pull straight off.
    Thank you Mac
    PORSCHE 911S '66

I have found that the wheel often will seem "stuck" to the splines. Here is a reprint of something I posted years ago to help with that:

I'm not exactly sure where I got this tip (sonnett43?), but when I couldn't get the wheel off, I loosen the nut a few turns but not all the way and then this:

1) take a slightly smaller socket than the nut and place it over the nut
    2) use a hammer and tap on the socket at the same time as you are pulling the wheel toward you.

This will probably need a second set of hands to assist! The vibration from the tapping is what makes this work. It took about forty taps (while pulling toward me) to get the thing loose, but it was a lot less stressful and you won't bend (or crack in your case) the steering wheel either.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Thank you Uptheorg ;-)
    PORSCHE 911S '66