Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 911 parts; better to buy original Porsche, or aftermarket a reasonable alternative?

Marco Marinello from elevenparts does have both NOS as well as good repro, I know Marco personally
    https://www.elevenparts.com/index2.php?f=rare&p=911
    Registry member No.773

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to what parts to use in a restoration. Some repro parts are works of art, but you will also have to pay for the quality. Many people get hung up on this, why should I pay $300 for a part when I can get one from a repro vendor for $75, because you get what you pay for. Other times cheaper repro parts will look ok but it takes hours upon hours to get them to fit, so there is money spent there if you're paying someone to do you car. A safe but expensive move is to always use OEM parts, either restored or NOS, at least you know it will fit, but you can't always count on availability and prices can vary wildly sometimes. It also depends on how correct a restoration you are trying for. Many parts will work fine, but won't look 100% correct, while others are barely seen so 100% isn't a big deal. I've watched guys get obsessed about the hues and shades of cad plating on parts you would have to be a contortionist to see.
    So before you buy anything decide what level you are shooting for with the restoration of your car and make decisions based off of that, then do what a previous post said and study the forum for that pieces work well and which ones don't. Also, don't get in a hurry, hoping to buy everything you need in one shot. A restoration is a journey and while it's fun spending money, take it slow, you'll make less mistakes that way.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    If its rubber,,,Porsche only !!! Wait until you try and fit a repro windshield seal, or try and make the hood shut on an aftermarket seal.
    Thanks Ed. I read above that Porsche isn't making their own (Classic?) parts; So, who makes the rubbers then? I get so many supplier saying that " it's from the Porsche OEM manufacturer, but without the logo"...
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

[QUOTE=swisscheese;1024116] (bumper, skirt) strips,

I make the muffler skirt if you are interested , here is a link to the add

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=marek+skirt

Marek

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Thanks Ed. I read above that Porsche isn't making their own (Classic?) parts; So, who makes the rubbers then? I get so many supplier saying that " it's from the Porsche OEM manufacturer, but without the logo"...
    The my favorite, I remember ordering a part from one of the vendors one time, paid extra for OEM Porsche. It came in a white box, in a plastic bag, no logos, no nothing. The vendor said it was made in the same factory in the Czech Republic as the stuff for Porsche...

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    The my favorite, I remember ordering a part from one of the vendors one time, paid extra for OEM Porsche. It came in a white box, in a plastic bag, no logos, no nothing. The vendor said it was made in the same factory in the Czech Republic as the stuff for Porsche...

---Adam
    Hi Adam, I hear ya.. :-)
    It's a JUNGLE! I take it slow (17 years resto)...
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Generally World -Pac or Stoddard.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you Eric …… For what you suggest here … and all that you have produced. A sticky parts catalog/analysis would make this site far more valuable. (it would also give encouragement/support to those who would do the right thing). bob

Let's try a sticky until a longer term option is established...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I am sensitive to this dilemma having done small batch high quality boutique restorations for years. I have a round of cars coming up with almost 100% original parts in all the areas it counts. How do you do that? Start collecting many many years before and hoard the stuff. Unfortunately this may be my last run of all original parts on a restored car.

Dashes are one of those items that will never make people happy. I bought a number of Lakewell dashes and they were great, vinyl pattern a little off but the shape was right on first glance. Now you get these totally different dashes coming out that don’t look right on first glance and the manufacturers say “well these are better because they won’t crack anymore” (what I see are changes to make manufacturing easier and lower cost not improvements).

There are far fewer great parts manufacturers than there are people that will sell you something because they can make a buck off it. A few of the the greats - Auto Foreign, Audette, International Merchantile, Jimmy T.

Others...
    URO - a guy from IMC that went out and manufactured parts in China - don’t buy a single rubber item from them as it is crap, couple good plastic parts, it’s 50/50 with this stuff but most of it you will be disappointed

Jorg - I wish these guys didn’t go knocking off other people’s knock offs, this ruined a few good suppliers and now we get some totally inferior parts from them. I think there is some good stuff too but I was put off early by some f their items. This is just Sierra madres parts made at the lowest price possible

Marek - makes great parts but can’t get a hold of him

TMP - been around forever and most likely all your decos on all your cars are supplied by them. The decos are ok and can be made to work - stay away from the plastic lenses, bumperettes (oh these fit so terribly), horn grills no good. The owner is not sensitive to our dilemma

Porsche classic - half their stuff comes from Carpoint anyway so it’s not exactly official. The orange bar hood badge Porsche Classic offered in fancy display cases showing the care and love blah blah blah they fall apart in weeks and aftermarket is better here. What major corporations care about a 1 year only parts? Or special rare parts that fit only a few hundred cars? None. Some of their parts are just fine and I’m glad they made the effort. Of course if you ever talk with “Porsche Classic” employees you quickly realize that the private specialized Porsche restoration shops have the know how and Porsche Classic restoration is more of a happy feel good theme that Porsche likes to present these days.

I find most parts counters you call have people that know a very little about the parts they sell and with so many models they don’t know the area you are working on. It is probably impossible to hire a parts counter person these days that really really knows early Porsche.

Most of your mechanical keep you going parts are generally the same, Pelican basically has the SSF catalogue online and if there is an OEM Genuine Porsche wheel bearing vs a SKS wheel bearing then they are exactly the same part but with an OEM markup... now if there is a 3rd option at a much lower price then this is usually the Chinese part. Sometimes there is issues like lead in bearings & German EPA laws, then moving production to South Africa so all the Glyco rod bearings are not as good anymore - here someone stepped in and made Mahle rod bearings to their spec and while they are 4 times the price they won’t fail.

Milou put the order right on parts priority. NOS from the 90s and older is all 100% consistent and from the same molds best quality.

We should support the small guys who put love into their parts, actually trying to make a part that fits rather than a part that will sell. Pay up for quality as it’s worth it in the long run. In a disposable world it is hard to get away from the lowest bidder part offering but when you think about it our vintage Porsches are not disposable so you have to think old world and realize that these parts are still cheaper than stuff for your late model modern luxury car is.