Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when Porsche Classic cannot restore your Porsche?

What to do when Porsche Classic cannot restore your Porsche?

If a vehicle was produced in limited numbers more than 40 years ago and you are told certain parts are no longer available do you find a sub part knowing you could never enter a concours event?
    1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI
    Ferrari 308
    '66 Hertz Shelby 350H
    '68 Shelby 500KR
    '68 Dodge Charger
    TR 6
    450 SL
    MC40
    G35

No.....not a chance, you use this group as resource for NOS or very good used original .
    Most all parts can be salvaged with effort.

Are you having Porsche Classic restore your car ?
    Or investigating best solution to the Restoration?

Photos and more info ?
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Having had my 1972 S restored over a period of almost three years this is my answer. Fit any part you can just to get the car driving and useable again, then as time passes enjoy your car while looking out and searching for the exact parts you need. Life’s too short to wait for these things.

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    No.....not a chance, you use this group as resource for NOS or very good used original .
    Most all parts can be salvaged with effort.

Are you having Porsche Classic restore your car ?
    Or investigating best solution to the Restoration?

Photos and more info ?
    I am restoring and have contacted PC and they said they don't have the part and don't know anyone who still makes it?
    The part? TWILL
    1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI
    Ferrari 308
    '66 Hertz Shelby 350H
    '68 Shelby 500KR
    '68 Dodge Charger
    TR 6
    450 SL
    MC40
    G35

What does TWILL mean please ??
    Mark

Fabric perhaps?
    We need to know more of what you are unable to find so that the resources of the site can be brought to bear and assist.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Fabric perhaps?
    We need to know more of what you are unable to find so that the resources of the site can be brought to bear and assist.
    I have been looking for well over 5 years, just to give you some perspective and I have mentioned it here before.
    Close up from some in Belgium and another shot of the bolsters with the fabric.
    Can't even get a swatch of this fabric in my hand, from anywhere, to see what I can find from one of the other manufacturers.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bcgreen; 07-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI
    Ferrari 308
    '66 Hertz Shelby 350H
    '68 Shelby 500KR
    '68 Dodge Charger
    TR 6
    450 SL
    MC40
    G35

Are you saying that Porsche produced your '76 Carrera with that interior? That's different to be sure... Personal program? If they can't identify the fabric source, there are plenty of textile producers willing to duplicate for a price.

Whether you're willing to make that financial commitment is up to you.

BTW, you say this effort is in pursuit of a concours level restoration. How would any judge know whether the twill used on the seat bolsters is correct or not?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Are you saying that Porsche produced your '76 Carrera with that interior? That's different to be sure... Personal program? If they can't identify the fabric source, there are plenty of textile producers willing to duplicate for a price.

Whether you're willing to make that financial commitment is up to you.

BTW, you say this effort is in pursuit of a concours level restoration. How would any judge know whether the twill used on the seat bolsters is correct or not?
    Common in 912E and 911s from 74 and 75. Looking for a close sub. but it is very difficult when you only have pic. for me or any upholster to figure out, at least upholsters I've contacted. The key for me is getting a swatch from an old seat.
    It doesn't have to be concours as it is only on the bolsters.
    1976 Carrera 2.7 MFI
    Ferrari 308
    '66 Hertz Shelby 350H
    '68 Shelby 500KR
    '68 Dodge Charger
    TR 6
    450 SL
    MC40
    G35

Does this help? The source original factory factory trim catalogue 1975 sheet marked Twill (seat side panels) The colour is probably not reproducing well in night time flash photo but maybe the part numbers colour reference help. There are three colours but middle one visually in actual book I have in front of me is closest to your picture albeit your seat picture seems much lighter. Also appears on 74 sheet same numbers. Differences maybe due to a the old fabric on seat sun fading lighter and artifacts of lighting camera in my Vs your photo etc. As can be seen even the old paper of white background appears yellow brownish in my shot.
    IMG_20190714_022208.jpg
    Frankly I find Porsche own classic and archive employees among the most unhelpful folks in the old Porsche hobby. Don't tell me they don't have access to such references even if no actual material to sell -- if only they could be arsed to look into it and help Only interested in history if it sells new cars or very expensive restoration or maybe gets them a classic event jolly event invitation /or for journalists. Sadly the good old helpful guys at factory who went the extra mile for individual enthusiast owners who had queries have retired, left or passed away.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-13-2019 at 06:14 PM.