Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W: 1973 911t

Lightbulb W: 1973 911t

I am looking to buy an unmolested, honest 1973 Porsche 911T Coupe. A perfect car for me would be:

Drivable, roadworthy condition (no barn find or basket case)
    Little/no rust
    Unmolested (no steel flares, slant nose conversion, V8 transplant, etc). That said, any reversible mods or incorrect parts are totally fine – and to be expected for a 40+ year old car.
    No Concourse material. Would I like to show off my car at next years’ concours d’elegance? Sure, but I won’t raid my kids’ college funds for this.

Why 1973? That’s the year I was born, and this is how I ‘sold’ the idea to my wife to adopt a longhood Porsche… I’d consider both CIS and MFI.

A little bit about myself: I used to own a wonderful 1973.5T Targa in original condition. Not a show queen by any means, but a very presentable driver in stunning gemini blue metallic (look for my older posts with pictures of the car). Owned it for a few years and then got so busy with work and two little girls at home that I decided to sell it. Oh boy am I regretting this now.

So, here I am, attempting to make up for my mistake and getting back behind the wheel of a Longhood. Curious to see where the market is these days.
    Currently in between Porsches. Sold my 73.5T Targa, now suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms. Attending Rennsport Reunion VI didn't really help getting over it.

Past: '73.5T Targa, '12 991S Cab, '07 987

I had first dibs on this gemini T Coupe a few weeks ago. Seller was super nice, he responded to my WTB ad over on the Bird.

IMG_41681561926685.jpg

I wasn't quite ready to make an offer on the fly as it hat a couple rust issues (front fenders, door), so wasn't sure what was lurking underneath. It sold within 48 hours. Should've pulled the trigger - hindsight is 20-20, I know...
    Currently in between Porsches. Sold my 73.5T Targa, now suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms. Attending Rennsport Reunion VI didn't really help getting over it.

May I ask about the actual pricing levels of the offers you received?

here in germany, they go still nuts with even #4 condition cars. 60K for cars with needed invest of sure 40K to make it presentable and a min of 10K to get them a safe drive.....?????

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

How about this one 73.5 CIS??[ATTACH=CONFIG]497730[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bob lee View Post
    How about this one 73.5 CIS??[ATTACH=CONFIG]497730[/ATTACH
    Thanks Bob, PM sent.

OK, almost reaching 2k views at the time of writing this post, here's another story for your enjoyment:

Seller reached out to me a couple months ago, says he knows of a 73.5T Coupe, numbers matching, gemini blue. Says he sold the car years ago without the engine and trans. Car is available again and he still has the motor and trans although they need to be gone through. He's been told the car is still complete except for the seats. Car is in the Northwest and engine/trans are in North Carolina.

We exchange a bunch of emails. Seller, owner of an independent Porsche shop in NC, is straightforward and provides a lot of details about the car and the engine + trans and its condition, and shares a ballpark figure for what the current seller asks for the roller (high but not outrageous). We exchange a bunch more emails, and again... eventually he simply stops responding. Crickets.

Bottom line, another case of scratching my head. Why would anyone engage in a long email convo, share a ton of details and then go MIA?

Here's a pic for you to enjoy (hope seller doesn't mind me sharing):
    54355.jpg

Why not place a call to him...if he has an independent shop he likely has a phone. He may not be seeing your emails for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Why not place a call to him...if he has an independent shop he likely has a phone. He may not be seeing your emails for some reason.
    Ha, interesting thought to use a phone for placing a call. So retro!
    </sarcasm>
    Sure enough I tried calling, left VM but didn't get any response. Complete radio silence. Moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by kp.sfo View Post
    We exchange a bunch more emails, and again... eventually he simply stops responding. Crickets.

Bottom line, another case of scratching my head. Why would anyone engage in a long email convo, share a ton of details and then go MIA?
    Just a guess, but I suspect that the sellers get tired of the incessant email questions. Most shop-owning sellers have better things to do the spend time on a long, drawn-out email question spree. At least 98% of the time those types of buyers don't follow through anyway. Sellers then bail on that one, and look for a buyer that isn't so time-intensive.

If you find a possible car that interests you, may I suggest that once you get the basics nailed down, don't try to do it all via email or phone unless you are willing to move quickly and take a chance on it. If you need to know all the details in advance, arrange to go see the car in person, or send an agent to see it for you. Seller will at least know you are serious...
    Last edited by Arne; 04-12-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo repair
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Just a guess, but I suspect that the sellers get tired of the incessant email questions. Most shop-owning sellers have better things to do the spend time on a long, drawn-out email question spree. At least 98% of the time those types of buyers don't follow through anyway. Sellers then bail on that one, and look for a buyer that isn't so time-intensive.

If you find a possible car that interests you, may I suggest that once you get the basics nailed down, don't try to do it all via email or phone unless you are willing to move quickly and take a chonace on it. If you need to know all the details in advance, arrange to go see the car in person, or send an agent to see it for you. Seller will at least know you are serious...
    Solid advice, Arne, you're probably right... BTW: Love the story of your 72T Coupe. Living the dream!