Thread: Expert opinions needed on 67S front bumper guards

Expert opinions needed on 67S front bumper guards

Yesterday, a member posted a copy of a 1966 sales bulletin which details "new" features of the '67S. See post #7
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-912-loose-lot

I'm intrigued that the front bumper guards are shown to be standard on the 911 but optional on the 911S. Could that be correct? I always thought the front guards were required on US-bound cars. My 67S has what appears to be the original, correct front deco rubber but no evidence that guards were ever mounted, and the COA does not show them in the options list. I always assumed the car had guards that were removed during an ancient repaint when the correct deco rubber was still available. Any thoughts?

Not necessarily authoritative, but my Targa list that I maintain here show about 1/2 cars with bumper guards. I own 500254S which was untouched with exception of headrest, through the grill drivers light and A/C (all dealer install) came with guards. I think standard brochure list of options talks about rubber pads on front and rear bumper guards as being optional but standard on S model. Does not list bumper guards per se as an option. When did the special "S" bumper first appear?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I'm hardly an authority on '67s, but I think this may be about the rubber pads on the bumper guards--not the bumper guards themselves.

The rubber pads "Stoßstangenhörner mit Gummipuffer" were supposed to have become available on October 1965 (1966 model year):

Name:  9217.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  84.6 KB
    W12 Ausgabe September 65 Printed in Germany 10. 65 GI.

Car and Driver's January 1965 test of the then-new 911S showed a car with rubber pads on the bumper guards and lists only a $180 radio as an option:

Name:  CD_Jan67_Cover_PS.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  199.6 KB

Name:  CD_Jan67_911S_Page_40_PS.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  160.5 KB

Frankly, I think the most likely explanation is that whoever typed those service bulletins got it backwards and the rubber pad was standard on the new 911S with its flashier trim but remained optional on the plain-vanilla 911.

There are other typos, like the "guilt" colored insignia on the plain-vanilla 911's dash.

Perhaps someone has a '67 model year accessories brochure which [should] have had better proofreading.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Feom '67 sales brochureName:  67911911S912b.JPG
Size:  226.3 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Feom '67 sales brochureName:  67911911S912b.JPG
Size:  226.3 KB
    Excellent!

Now if only somebody would post a photo of the guilt-colored glovebox insignia.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    From '67 sales brochure
    That's very helpful, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    Yesterday, a member posted a copy of a 1966 sales bulletin which details "new" features of the '67S. See post #7
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-912-loose-lot

I'm intrigued that the front bumper guards are shown to be standard on the 911 but optional on the 911S. Could that be correct? I always thought the front guards were required on US-bound cars.
    My 67S has what appears to be the original, correct front deco rubber but no evidence that guards were ever mounted, and the COA does not show them in the options list...
    That Service Bulletin is dated August 11, 1966 with an effective date of August 1, 1966, so it was published at the time of the S introduction.
    You can find many early photos of S cars without front guards, including those in the original sales brochure, but how that applied or evolved for cars being sent to the US, I can't tell you for certain.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I don’t care who your father was, those wool trousers are scratching up the paint!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen