Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

be a shame to paint it

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Where is it possible to find such flares in Europe?
    ....these were supplied by my good friend Marek Lappock (early911parts@gmail.com) who has helped me with many items for my projects.

Marek manufactures many, many items for our early Porsches although deals mainly as a wholesaler to many Porsche parts suppliers as well as directly to Porsche themselves. He's always happy to help when he can although please be patient if you contact him as he's not a regular mail order business and helps out purely as a fellow enthusiast

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Darren,

I think the flares look very authentic...congrats on finding a good source. Not many flares applied today really capture the true look of the RSRs of the 70s. These flares were factory flares from the day....

Gib
    Thank you for your feedback Gib, it's much appreciated from an expert like you .......you have taught me as much as anybody the value of form and shape, essential learning for a skinny guy going wide!

Cheers,

As for metal we've been busy ourselves for the past few weeks as the Metal Meister Barry Carter rids the shell of tin worm in readiness for the modifications to come.....I'll post details soon.

I often look enviously at the builds from sunnier climes where metal prep seems little more than cleaning off old paint in preparation for new.....no such luck in the UK although I've been pretty fortunate with this one .....

Cheers,

Darren, with all the spot welds on those panels and the work to remove/add them, isn't it more economical to buy new panels + bumper brackets?
    Or do you want to keep as much original metal as possible?
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    Darren, with all the spot welds on those panels and the work to remove/add them, isn't it more economical to buy new panels + bumper brackets?
    Or do you want to keep as much original metal as possible?
    ....hi Patrck, no not really, I did end up replacing both inner wings on the Mongrel but that was much worse and the repairs on this car are fairly straightforward for a skilled metal man like Barry Carter.....and of course it is always nice to retain as much original metal as possible.

Barry has been busy systematically working his way through the rotten bits....

Last edited by Darren65; 10-13-2019 at 04:25 AM.

....fortunately this car was arrow straight when fitted to the jig....

...albeit a little droopy at the rear (as they all are!).....

....easily fixed with a couple of jacks!....

....the sills were original and only rotten towards the rear....

...we were tempted to just repair these although took the decision to replace the out sills which revealed perfectly good inners....the outer sills were back-dated and the rot repaired as required....

....we're now at the stage where we can start making the various modifications that will transform this car into a 74 RS

RHD Pedal Box....

One of those modifications is adapting the floor and fitting a modified pedal box to allow the fitting of twin external brake cylinders with an adjustable bias.....as per this original LHD car...

....and this week I collected a new pedal box and the sheet metal required for installation from Ben Coles....only problem being is that nobody makes a kit for RHD cars so this LHD version will have to be modified to fit...

....with only six of these cars ever being produced I dare say this is exactly what they had to do back in period, fortunately I have a couple of reference photos from #9092 to work with....

....all part of the fun!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 10-13-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Impressive commitment, Darren. Truly!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183