Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Flares.....

I've been lucky enough to complete two early 911's in recent years, the first was a 2.4E that I planned to modify but it was too nice and original so kept it stock. The second came about purely by chance as I was part way through my first build and it just had to be purchased (they were cheap back then!), I was gripped by the 911 bug and it gave me the chance to build the sports modified car of my dreams.

After two builds and 5 years of restoration I vowed I'd never do another......but as time passed the frustrations were forgotten, a void and itch remained and the more knowledgeable me started to wonder what other projects I'd like to do....

....eventually I decided I have two builds left in me if the opportunity ever came my way......the first is a 66/67 911 SWB Coupe, a simple and understated sports purpose gentlemans racer painted black with black trim and nice period touches. A classic early looking car in every respect except this one will have a 2.2S MFI engine in the back, 6&7R's with slightly modified rear arches and will be an R-inspired sleeper......when I have to simplify my life and sell my cars this will be the last toy left and my ideal 911. I already have a complete engine and prefect steering wheel, I truly hope it happens.

My second dream was to go wide.......I'm a narrow car guy through and through although can't deny wide bodied cars are damn sexy and with so much flared inspriration on this board the urge is pretty strong....

....dreaming is a wonderful thing with countless possibilities, it was just a question of where my wide bodied dreams would take me.....

....my first thoughts were to turn my modified T in to a full ST and fit ST flares and wider wheels.....being a 72 car with a period 2.5 short stroke it's the ideal candidate and who doesn't love the look of a wide ST from the rear ......however I love this car just the way it is.....it drives, handles and looks wonderful imo and I wouldn't want to change it.

If thinking wide it's natural to ponder on a 2.8 RSR....they are by far the prettiest of all the early wide cars with a glorious engine and a wonderful racing heritage but I found myself leaning in a different direction.....

....a big inspiration was John Starkey's book 'The Racing Porsches R to RSR'.......on a recent holiday I read it again for about the 50th time and as ever it strikes me that the 3.0RS was the pinnacle of all the early race cars. In the book John Fitzpatrick, Norbert Singer, John Rulon-Miller, Nick Faure, Erwin Kremer et al wax lyrical about the abilities of the 3.0....

.....I was captivated.....if I was ever going to build a wide car it would be a 3.0RS.....

....the moderators may wish to move this thread to another section although for me, even though it's a G-series shell, the 3.0RS with it's early RSR flares, it's naturally aspirated MFI engine and a whole host of features derived from previous race cars, the 3.0RS owes more to it's racing past than it does to those that followed.......even Porsche stated in their homologation papers (maybe tongue in cheek ) that the car was a 'face-lift'....

....the last naturally aspirated race car before the Turbo era and the final true road going racing Porsche......for many the 3.0RS will always be the ultimate early racing Porsche 911...
    Last edited by Darren65; 07-24-2019 at 01:34 PM.

1977 Carrera 3.0

.....and then this happened.....

......a friend was considering selling his 1977 Carrera 3.0 restoration project he'd owner for a number of years and was discussing this with an interested party, at a price point I thought was very sensible, although he wasn't sure if the deal would happen?.....that night my mind went into overdrive as I started to dream about another project!

Without saying anything I took advice on the suitability of the car being the basis for a 3.0RS build and was told to stop wasting my time on the phone and to go and buy it!......only two obstacles had to be overcome, the first was the other interested party had first refusal and the second, as it transpired, was that I had to convince my friend to allow the project to be transformed into a Carrera 3.0RS inspired modified car.....

......suffice to say all went well and the car was delivered in September 2018......

This will be a slow burn project and it will take some but eventually I hope to turn the car into a good reflection of a Carrera 3.0RS with wonderful fat arches although fitted with a 3.0RSR spec engine with slide injection

My apologies to the purists who may feel that this rare car should be saved however if any C3 deserves to be modified it's this one.....off the road for nearly three decades with engine issues, vandalized, with no history and no interior having passed through a number of owners with good intentions albeit no action and ultimately in a ghastly colour scheme.....I think I'm doing the right thing!

Ha, Ha for sure.....but hopefully the car will have the last laugh!.....

Cheers,

Color....

Being a UK car and RHD I plan to base this on one of the 6 RHD 3.0 RS cars that made it to Britain.

That makes the choice of colors.....

.....Mexico Blue, Guards Red, Black, Light Yellow and Grand Prix White (2)....all look fantastic

Vote ....Mexico Blue ��

Unless I'm mistaken other than it being the blue wheel centre of some grand Prix White RS in model 73 the Mexico Blue was new for 74 whereas the other colours were available and used albeit in some cases special colours or reserved colour. That blue also looks great in widebody
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-24-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Hi Darren, was just reading your topic on DDK earlier in the week; looking forward to this build! Love the look of the 3.0RS,
    and yes, I prefer Mexico Blue too
    Porsche-Carrera-3.0-RS-4.jpg
    Last edited by patrick911; 07-24-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added picture

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Vote ....Mexico Blue ��
    ...ah yes, but then you have insider knowledge!

The car will indeed be based on the ex-Lord Mexborough car, 9114609092 (recently beautifully restored at Maxted-Page), although it's not intended to be a facsimile of that car just a good representation of an original 3.0RS, albeit with an RSR engine....

...one day ....

Cheers,

I love this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    #rennfrog

Good choice.

Always partial to the blue one; it was for sale on Yorkshire a few year's ago. Was Mexborough a later owner don't think he was original purchaser but could be wrong ?

Somewhere I have a list of the original 6 with owners but can't locate it ( probably detailed in Starkey too). He was very indiscreet -- didn't ask permission to list owners the cheeky bugger

From memory original owners were the folks you'd expect to buy them ... likes of Hamilton (Aus), Faure (really Porsche Cars GB/AFN to supercede the prodsport winning 2.7 racecars , Hesketh ( not Hunt presumably to replace the lilac white one that was part of Hunt's contract! ) , Vesty (Dewhurst butchers) and or Bamford (of JCB). Bit hazy recollection -- I'll probably come across the list .

Enjoy

Steve

James Hunt drove a yellow RHD. Just saying
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold