Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

....and the whole front end has come together well....

....the rotten bumper supports were no problem for Barry ....

....and this is the sort of detail I really enjoy .....in Barry's words....

'Looking at your pictures, these little pressings are shortened in order the for oil cooler duct to match up to the slam panel. Using various tools I was able to work out the pressing and end up with flat metal where we needed it. Not very clear, but each ‘pressing’ ends in a little radius in each corner.

Once painted they’ll look pretty factory which is ironic as they were probably pounded in with a blunt chisel at the factory. To be fair, that is sort of what I did.
    '

...looking pretty good when compared with #9092 .....

Cheers,

Nearly Restored

We're almost there with the metal restoration and Barry has been busy finishing the final items....

....including these beautiful detailed repairs to the inner front wings....

... it looks almost ready for paint....

...in addition to body repairs Barry has been working his way through a few non-RS details....removing unnecessary holes and pipes....

.....including filling in the very post-1974 centre dash vent hole....

....and with all body repairs almost totally complete it was time to clean up the rear pan seams....

....and make a big hole .....

Cheers,

Centre Tunnel Strengthening....

.....so now the fun starts and first the RS centre tunnel strengthening .....in Barry's words....

......This takes some explaining.

As supplied, the piece is too long, has no details as to how to scribe into the tube, or where to place the edge bends.

We needed to remove the existing impact bumper reinforcements.

The RS reinforcement (RS r.) sits directly on top of the tunnel, not the raised flange behind it. Therefore to be able to attach the RS, you need to remove a section of bulkhead plus the raised portion right at the end of the tunnel.

This then leaves the tunnel main pressing and end plate detached from each other, so these need tidying from the drilling out and welding together.

You then have to template a card version of the RS r. so that it fits in the correct place on top of the tunnel, meets the tube correctly and has the information needed to create the end bends.

With the new RS r. prepped, it can be welded in.

Then the portion of removed bulkhead has the thickness of the RS r. subtracted from its base and the remains of the original reinforcements removed.

This is then welded into place and also welded to the RS r..

The whole area is tidied.

Later the underside of the area will be checked and welded where required.......

Short Trailing Arms Brackets....

After the centre tunnel mod Barry moved on to the brackets for the short trailing arms which Marek Lappock supplied.......as far as how you fit these correctly with the car pointing in the right direction when fitted up my contribution was little more than to supply Barry with a copy of Bruce Anderserson's Performance Handbook which highlights a few basic dimensions......

.....for what is ultimately a few minutes of welding the brackets in place, exactly where is a whole different science! Again I'll let Barry explain.....

Using the info from the Anderson book and confirmed by Josh (via Gary) and Ben, I made up a little jig using the milling machine as a plotter.

I keep an engineer’s level at work, and used this to ensure my jig was kept level relative to the Celette. It’s more than accurate enough for the job.

I couldn’t remember if the forward adjustment on the spring plates also had an element of eccentric adjustment so didn’t dare not look at these. The bolts were stuck solid and took an awful lot of shifting. As it happens, it turned out there wasn’t an eccentric element anyway! Nevertheless to be able to have everything on the rear end in the middle of the adjustment travels during set-up was very useful. It meant I could aim to leave you with maximum adjustment in all planes from the start, rather than kicking off with one or more adjusters near their limits.......

....unfortunately not quite plain sailing as Barry continues.....

.....It soon became clear that with the arms and spring-plates mounted onto the new brackets, something wasn’t right. Luckily the brackets were only tacked at this point.

Essentially, the nearside looked really lovely, but the offside was toeing out by miles. The only way to correct it was by using all of the available adjustment and even then it was tight.

By a long and painful process I eventually realised that one of the arms was a tiny bit different to the other. You can see with both hubs clamped down, there was a small height difference at the bush. If you held the bushes dead even, this then opened up a roughly one mm gap at the hub. Multiply this up by the wheel diameter and it would give the error I was seeing.

As we discussed, we decided to leave the arm as actually it must be nearly impossible (and unreasonable) to get them spot-on, and we elected to shift the new mounting a little instead....