Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

....finally all was resolved .....

.....I was happy with the height of the new mounts and wanted them to be dead even as this would really show if different. Therefore some steel was quickly tacked in to reference this before removing the RH mount. Then, using my rig, I mounted the arm in the best position as far as I could see. With the bolt in place, this positioned the new mounting in the required position. Tacked in, the whole thing was re-tested.

Obviously I’ve been guessing the ride-height, so assumed a wheel / tyre diameter of 21” (15 inch rim plus two x 3in tyres), and assumed the top of the tyre would be about even to the lower edge of the wing lip.

I then measured as far I as could: neutral toe, neutral camber, equal in-out side to side and as close to possible matching wheelbase side to side. I think we ended up about 2.5mm difference in reality. I don’t think you’ll notice this, other than only being able to turn left obviously. Other than roundabouts, I don’t think this should be an issue .....

.....I don't think Barry is serious about not being able to turn left!

One thing I hadn't noticed, and not clearly obvious, is that the rear seat pans require a fair degree of modification to allow for extra clearance when fitting short trailing arms and brackets.....fortunately Barry has a keener eye and they are pretty obvious when you know they're there and what you're looking for.....

....I wouldn't be surprised if these were 'formed' with a special tool and a very big hammer back in the day but as you'd expect Barry is a little more precise...

....more soon,

Cheers,

...you are in very skilled hands with Barry Darren!

Impressive work.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    ...you are in very skilled hands with Barry Darren!
    .....indeed Steve, and it's not just the quality of his fabrication........the effort he puts in to making sure everything he does is 100% correct is also reassuring

Cheers Guys

Safe in the knowledge the the short arm brackets were now perfectly positioned the additional RS torque tube strengthening could be fitted, fabricated in 2mm steel....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikdSv9][/url

.....next up.......the rear shock tower turrets ....

Looking good again Darren! Epic build
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Shock Towers....

Cheers Patrick

Next up was rear shock tower turrets, a feature homologated in FIA Special Provision Document #3053 for all 3.0RS/RSR's to allow the fitment of coil-over rear dampers although these were only fitted to the RSR variants.

This is a feature I could have lived without as I'm unlikely to ever fit coil-overs and, as was highlighted earlier, even if I do there are many cars out there with coil-overs fitted even without the modification (which I can only assume means that later dampers are narrower or there's a degree of rubbing)......on top of that you'll notice many 'original' RS's without this feature although suspect that's likely due to repairs from a racing past when rectification work was less important.....however with the effort Barry has put in so far I think it would have been amiss to leave this and it is a feature you can see (if you stick your head under the rear arch!).....

....plus there were repairs needed anyway!

Nasty rust I would have certainly missed if this car had stayed standard and we were retaining as many original features and paint as possible!......the engine bay was totally original and looked in perfect order requiring nothing but a good clean with the rust hiding behind what looked like perfectly sound underseal.....

...so Barry set about by first cutting out the bad and making good repair sections.....

....perfectly formed pieces that went in nicely as Barry informed me.......which he then had to take a bloody great balled hammer to later when it turned out the indent had to be very much better to get the towers in!

old turrets removed....

....and new ones fitted and shaped....

....very different in shape to standard towers from the underside....

....this area has now come together brilliantly and almost time for the rear pan to go back in .....

....and finally bringing this build up to date and before the rear seat pan goes back in was the cross member corner strengthening.....

....Armando's web resource highlights some nice original items....

....and these, along with the tunnel plate, were supplied by carpoint.de who produce very good reproductions......

....they do need a little persuading.....

....but look 100% authentic when formed and welded into place.....

Cheers for now ,