Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

Quote Originally Posted by H-viken View Post
    James Hunt drove a yellow RHD. Just saying
    I think you'll find his former Hesketh team boss and the real owner of the yellow 74 rhd car Lord Hesketh went out of his way to put record in a British Sunday paper saying he disagrees .... Hunt's car was a model year 73 rhd M472 presumed originally lilac but repainted white. If Hunt even took to the wheel of the 74 car at all it seems from comments it was not much and certainly not his car according to those who were there ...the hunt 2.7 car is well known in the UK and in same family long term ownership having raced in eighties.

I clarified this exact point at length only yesterday ...see last post
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ent-cars-in-UK

I stand corrected
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Hunt and his boss' car the flamboyant Hesketh aka Le Patron pictured visiting a chateau in the latter's then new RHD yellow one ; )

Screenshot_20190725-163658~2.jpg

Nick Faure knew how to drive them properly back in the same year however
    Screenshot_20190725-161112~2.jpg

Trademark lifted front wheel that he used in his letterhead etc for some years' later as in this note regarding an invitation to Goodwood Circuit from before the Revival
    IMG_20190725_170744.jpg

He'd just comprehensively won the STP prodsports national championship of previous year in a combination of 73 RS M472 and M471 rhd cars for PCGB. So PCGB AFN got this rhd example for his use in 74.

He was subsequently employed by PCGB/AFN to demonstrate the brand new RHD turbo to prospective customers -- a similar role that Barth had for LHD. Presumably Porsche didn't trust customers with the unfamiliar turbo lag. I've heard rumours the RHD turbo demonstrator was tweaked to be quicker but having been with Nick possibly also down to the driver's skill.

This advert on a British magazine from spring 1975 mentions Nick's role as the official demonstrator driver if the then new turbo.

IMG_20190731_141658.jpg

Nick at one time gave me some tips on driving the Carrera RS I bought via him as mentioned in handwritten note above
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-31-2019 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Add extra info

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Nick Faure knew how to drive them properly back in the same year however
    Screenshot_20190725-161112~2.jpg
    Nice post Steve, even the short rear trailing arms didn't stop him lifting a wheel

Fat Boy.....

Although I've had this car for several months it has sat untouched under its cover until recently due to a promise to my wife that 'I dare not do a single thing to it until a number of projects around the house were completed!' ....

....I very nearly succeeded.

One item that's very dear to my heart is a cars steering wheel......my car had a small fire in the drivers seat at some point in its life and the wheel was literally toast....

....my first thought was to have the wheel recovered although I discovered that the original early wheels have a concentric spline whereas this was moved down by 10mm on the later wheels to improve visability of the gauges.....

....for about one year only through 1974 the wheels fitted to the Carrera 2.7 and 3.0RS also had a thicker grip....after a few months of gentle persuasion a good friend kindly agreed to let me have a beautiful late 73 dated wheel he'd been hoarding....my one little slip in my period of project abstinence ....

....'tis a thing of beauty and one of the most important items for this build

Cheers,

Good choice Darren.
    These wheels are the nicest for impact bumper model imo, fitted one with lots of patina in my 78 sc and have factory standard one in my 74.
    S Registry#2021

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    Nice post Steve, even the short rear trailing arms didn't stop him lifting a wheel
    True ... But Nick and others who I respect as knowing really how to drive these cars in that era have said while beneficial for the odd full house slick shod pure racer RSR the shorter trailing arm was a retrograde step not as enjoyable generally. Affects stability in some situations. Said so directly to me and think he even comments about it in Starkey. As separately did a PO of my car who won class at le man's and later ELMS an champion.

Thumbs up

I also let one of my coveted steering wheels go to a good friend who needed the correct wheel for his ‘74 Carrera RS3.0. It completed the car, and I was happy to oblige.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I also let one of my coveted steering wheels go to a good friend who needed the correct wheel for his ‘74 Carrera RS3.0. It completed the car, and I was happy to oblige.
    ....that's the spirit Jens

If anyone would like to help out with some slide valve throttle bodies then please say .....

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    True ... But Nick and others who I respect as knowing really how to drive these cars in that era have said while beneficial for the odd full house slick shod pure racer RSR the shorter trailing arm was a retrograde step not as enjoyable generally. Affects stability in some situations. Said so directly to me and think he even comments about it in Starkey. As separately did a PO of my car who won class at le man's and later ELMS an champion.
    That's interesting Steve, I don't recall that but do remember Nick saying that the 3.0RS felt just as sensitive and vibrant as a 911S with a wonderful feel and how he should have purchased the car he raced in 74 when he had the chance.....I'll let you know my opinion once I've driven a few hundred RS miles.....

....anyways, you can't be building a solid RS/RSR without short arms and last week I picked up a pair from my good friend Ben Coles....shown here with a standard arm for comparison.....

....always wonderful to catch up with Ben.....mad as ever, he's taken the last year off work to concentrate on building his steam engine refurbishing or remanufacturing almost every component entirely by himself......mad but very, very talented ....

Cheers,