Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

For the 911L in 1968, you could have ordered the car with soundproof undersealing deleted (10 kg = 22 lb) and soundproof matting deleted (15 kg = 33 lb) at no charge. The 911T offered the same which was included in the Rally kit.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Darren

Really looking forward to this, love a good detailed project.......time is a great healer, or you have a selective memory like mine that enables you to move on from the 'never again' stage!
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Quote Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
    Darren

Really looking forward to this, love a good detailed project.......time is a great healer, or you have a selective memory like mine that enables you to move on from the 'never again' stage!
    ....and you know better than anyone Tim! ......time is a great healer and with such an adiictive end result it's hard to stop!

Cheers,

A Whale Tale....

A few months back a friend mentioned he knew of a large whale tail that was potentially for sale and put me in touch with a chap who had acquired one of the most unique and interesting early 911's I've ever come across. The gentleman had acquired a complete car consisting of a sripped rolling shell with a special engine and gearbox and many rare racing parts....it was supplied with three rear lids, one modified, an original RS Duck Tail and an original early Whale Tail which wasn't required.....the owner shared its history with me and yesterday I went to see what has to be one of the coolest modified early 911's I know of....

....the car in question is a 1972 911E coupe purchased new for his home in Colorado by Lance Reventlow (formally Lance Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow) the son of Danish nobleman Count Kurt Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow and American socialite Barbara Hutton, heiress to the Woolworths fortune. To the car world Lance is known as a racing driver and creator of the Scarab Sports Racers one of which resides in the Miles Collier Collection at the Revs Institue... https://revsinstitute.org/the-collec...-sports-racer/ .....Lance was sadly never to enjoy the 911E as he died in a plane crash shortly after it was delivered.

The car was then purchased from the estate by Lance's half brother Richard Reventlow who set about turning it into a 'Race Car for the Road'.....Richard had many contacts at the factory through Baroness Von Saint Paul, one of the first customers of Porsche and was introduced to Frau Baer the head of the Racing Parts Facilty, he had given her a Hermés scarf when she helped him with parts for a previous 911 Targa and they had become great friends.....with the help of Frau Baer and Helmuth Bott a multitude of racing parts was acquired and the 911E was transformed with flared arches, 7&8" Fuchs in a racing finish, an RS spec engine and specially modified racing gearbox and much, much more......it really is unique and very cool 8) ...... previously posted details and more information can be seen here .... http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...embly-Required ....

....the car currently being reassembled....

...and from its glorious past....

....my interest comes about due to a call Richard Reventlow received from Frau Baer later in 1973......she said she had received the first batch of twenty Whale Tail Spoilers fabricated by their race shop and Richard immediately order one......as for the rest of this initial batch three quarters were sent to America to be fitted to the cars supplied for the International Race of Champions....originally supplied with Duck Tails...

...the IROC cars sported the new 'Whale Tails' by the time they raced...

....'What a score!' Richard recalled and when the new tail arrived he strapped it to the roof of the 911E for the long journey to Dick Troutman who spent some time fitting and finishing it before it was sent to Junior at Junior's House of Color in Gardena to be painted.....it must have created quite a stir in the day .....

....so with opportunity to purchase one of the very first batch of Whale Tail Spoilers produced by the racing department at Porsche I set off at 3:00AM yesterday for a 25-hour round trip to collect it and to also see and discover more history of the incredible vehicle it once graced

This resto stuff sure is fun.....this tail is going to look fantastic on the back of the RS .....

Cheers,

Great find Darren.
    I think I love this aspect of the builds most; the contacts you build, the stuff you learn and the joy of finding a rare part.

great story......wonderful orig and rare part....

but Id run a duck..and keep the uber rare tail in the garage!...lol

Thanks chaps

I did have one small dilemma with acquiring the early Whale Tail in that technically it's incorrect for the car.....

....the 1974 3.0RS was initially supplied with two rear spoilers....a large Group 4 racing Whale Tail as below and a standard sized Whale Tail as fitted to the later Carrera 3.0 (the former being illegal for road use as it extended past the rear bumper)....both however had a rubber lip surround unlike the solid early IROC tails....

....I never expected to find a large Group 4 tail and my initial plan was to buy an EB Motorsport replica and 'add' the rubber lip, there's some great product around and think we would have been pretty successful by cutting a groove and sanding back an out lip before apply a rubberised coating...

....with the acquisition of this tail I did contemplate changing my plans and building an IROC car instead, the history would certainly warrant that, however I really want to build the road going 3.0RS and base car lends itself better to that project so I'll justify fitting this tail by suggesting that the oiginal owner 'may' have wanted a solid rear wing and it most certainly 'could' have happened in period!

Dilemma solved!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by OliveR View Post
    Thanks although this one's a southpaw!

Flares.....

....the items that inspired this build arrived yesterday.....what do you think?....

Cheers,