Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Flares.....

After looking at the obvious underneath the cars I think I've answered my own question....

....although harder to be certain looking at the top of the rear cross member, especially with the engine in situ, underneath the difference with the shock towers is fairly obvious.....

...my shell with standard shock towers....

...and genuine 3.0RS's with modification for coilovers....

....still a slight grey area as there are RS cars out there without this modification as below however most of these cars have lived a (race car) life and I would suspect this is due to previous incorrect repairs rather than it not being done from the factory....

....ultimately I think if one one standard RS car had this mod then they all did and expect it was an homologation requirement for all RS/RSR's.

Cheers,

Hi Darren, love the detail in this thread.
    You keep me going back to check thing on my car all the time - and I thought I had done my research...

you're right, it was a homologation item, see the picture attached.
    there is a subsequent page that shows the picture with the enlarged shock towers so I'm sure that's what they're on about.
    the thing I'm not clear on is when they start. It says that the changes apply to chassisnumbers 911.460.9001 onward, but it also states they'll start doing this in series from July 1973 onward (which I believe would still be model year 1973), and the approval for the change is only signed as August 1, 1975 (?)

IMG_3676.jpg

"verstaerkte stossdaempferdome mit grosserem durchmesser D von 85mm auf 100mm vergrossert." - foto 8
    "reinforced shocktowerdomes with increased diameter D from 85mm to 100mm enlarged" - photo 8
    Last edited by patrick911; 11-04-2019 at 04:39 AM. Reason: added text
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

Thanks Patrick, that's fantastic information and just what I was hoping for

Would you happen to have photos of the additional pages of the homologation paper or a link to where I can find it?

From my understanding the new model year production generally started after the factory shut down in August so not surprised to see Porsche submitting this prior to that in and RS chassis numbers which started 911 460 9*** are certainly 74MY production......however no idea why that paper would be stamped August 75?

There's a few 74MY panel production changes that found their way into regular 73 production cars from as early March/April 1973 as Porsche started to run out of old panels.

I appreciate your input, you and your excellent thread are being a great help

Cheers,
    Last edited by Darren65; 11-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Before...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post

Cheers,
    ...and after....

Here Come the Mods....

We're now at the stage where all rust repairs have been completed and Barry will work his way through the various modification that will transform this shell into an RS.....

....first up is the panel to allow a front central oil cooler.....I sourced a ready made panel (right below) although Barry wasn't quite happy with the shape or dimensions so made his own....

....and curved rather than straight for a better fit....

...that'll work...

More soon

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    you're right, it was a homologation item, see the picture attached.

IMG_3676.jpg
    .....Looking at the homologation document Patrick posted I was unsure of item number 3. 'Verstarkung Stabilisatorlager, links rechts' which translates as 'Strengthening Stabilizer Bearing, left right' ....the photos the document relates to are as follows...

...looking at numerous photos of RS cars from the underside I've been unable to see any such modification as normally this is the point cars are jacked from on a 4-post lift.....however looking back at photos I took of a 2.8RSR some years ago I stumbled across these....

.....I think this is indeed the strengthening detailed in the homologation paper, can anyone confirm or add further photos?

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Shout out to Armando....

I doubt there's a better resource when researching these cars than Armando Serrano's incredible Pbase site and huge thanks to him for the work he's put into documenting many RS and RSR's.

My photo above led me once again to Armando's website (where I can get lost for hours!) and images of the underside of 911 460 9086 show the same strengthening.....

Cheers Armando, your hard work is making my life a lot easier!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by patrick911 View Post
    the thing I'm not clear on is when they start. It says that the changes apply to chassisnumbers 911.460.9001 onward, but it also states they'll start doing this in series from July 1973 onward (which I believe would still be model year 1973), and the approval for the change is only signed as August 1, 1975 (?)
    .....Hi Patrick, I was pointed to the February 1989 edition of Excellence Magazine which describes the restoration of RSR #9073 and explains the details behind Homologation paper #3053. It states that despite the fact that these improvements were not homologated with the FIA until 1975, the modifications outlined were part of every RSR sold by Porsche during the 1974 model year…...it's an interesting article for anyone researhing the details of all RS/RSR models....

Cheers,

I need to go visit John Byrne...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Steady progress....

I'm not sure how much interest there is on here for the metalwork skills that go into bringing these cars back to life but to me it's a form of art! .....

....the panel Barry made for the front oil cooler modification turned out pretty good....

[