Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento County's laws preventing owners from working on their own cars-

Sacramento County's laws preventing owners from working on their own cars-

I follow the "Right to Repair" online with regard to John Deere and other manufacturers trying to prevent folks from repairing purchased equipment out of warranty. They claim worries over "reverse engineering" of software among other concerns.

Maytag also 'discourages' owners from repairing their appliances.

What do the California members have to say about Sacramento County's laws about working on one's own cars?

I found out today that it is unlawful to engage in minor repairs- "Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours. "

Ouch-

As goes California so goes the Country so what's up Sacramento longhoods?

http://www.code-enforcement.saccount...utorepair.aspx

More likely to prevent eyesores sitting in driveways and yards, you can do anything not involving dangerous chemicals in your garage. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a pretty common regulation.

This law is designed to give the police the ability to remove eyesores from private driveways. It is not intended to keep individuals from taking care of their own vehicles. No police force in the nation would write you up for working on your own car.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

A lot of people use their garages for storage or as a mancave. I don't think my parents ever parked a car in their garage. I grew up wrenching in their driveway.

This would have the potential of making offenders out of people who break exhaust studs or own makes with hard-to-get parts. It has the tendency to disproportionately target people who would struggle to pay the $430 fine. They could request an appeal, for $700.

What's covered under "normally?" 50% of people who maintain their own cars own one? 25%? According to which metrics? What if it the tool was inherited from a parent, or was left by a previous owner? What about specialty tools for a singular purpose, like P221 rod support or P203 cam nut crow's foot? What about an engine stand? Engine hoist? Quick Jacks?

It is pretty common regulation, and I understand its intent. That said, it has a tendency to punish those who can't afford it and benefit those who can.

All editorializing is my own opinion and not CPR's.
    Steve C.
    CPR Classic Restoration
    Fallbrook, CA

Recalling the 90's when you could still browse periodicals without too many green new deals featured. At that time, Jay's Garage ran in Popular Mechanics. Some humor was a part of discussing different motoring eras, which was a specialty of his. One of the issues related to this topic, was a description of L.A in the fifties, and the large number of mechanics available at the time.

"On Santa Monica Blvd you had guys working all along the boulevard in a string of garages one after the other with their doors wide open. Now...you 'close' the door."

I think any law that discourages people from working on their own cars is a good thing, it eliminates one extra step for the pros.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    I think any law that discourages people from working on their own cars is a good thing, it eliminates one extra step for the pros.
    Hilarious.

And true.

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    This law is designed to give the police the ability to remove eyesores from private driveways. It is not intended to keep individuals from taking care of their own vehicles. No police force in the nation would write you up for working on your own car.
    Incorrect. There have already been multiple reports of people being fined from this new regulation.

LoL-

The worst part of restoring my MFI was the previous 'work' from idiot 'Pros' who likely thought they were expert in bed too...

I agree with Steve. These onerous laws are created with the intent of fleecing the folks who cannot fight back.

A visit to any municipal court will show a lack of well-to-do defendants-
    We can agree that the privileged have their own share of lousy drivers...
    Last edited by G69; 07-31-2019 at 02:45 PM.

I lived in Sacramento proper for 20 years and now about 25 miles up I-80 in the Sierra foothills.

This county code came about from a majority of the citizens of Sacramento County whose neighborhoods were being polluted by dead and semi-dead "projects" parked in driveways and curbside. Some of the most vocal supporters were folks from low income neighborhoods trying to keep their homes and neighborhoods from becoming cluttered slums further lowering their property values. This was NOT about "sticking it to the little guy." It was about preserving the little guys neighborhood. Most affluent and gated neighborhoods have already had formal CCRs mimicking this code for years. It was the lower middle class and low income neighborhoods where "cinder block cars" were becoming a progressive blight. So be it if we have to legislate hillbilly behavior...just another form of pollution and littering.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series