Thread: Opinions wanted please regarding motors for sale.

Opinions wanted please regarding motors for sale.

I just had a conversation with a friend about selling a motor. His position is that if you say you have a motor for sale then you are implying that the motor comes with full exhaust to the muffler and flywheel & pressure plate. My opinion was that you can't take that for granted and that saying you have a motor for sale does not imply that.

I'll grant you that a motor for sale has to have induction and alternator and a distributor (lest it be a 'short block'), but what is the accepted standard for selling a motor? Also, what does it mean to add the word 'complete' as well?

Would love to hear real world input. Perhaps I've been wrong about my assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    I just had a conversation with a friend about selling a motor. His position is that if you say you have a motor for sale then you are implying that the motor comes with full exhaust to the muffler and flywheel & pressure plate. My opinion was that you can't take that for granted and that saying you have a motor for sale does not imply that.

I'll grant you that a motor for sale has to have induction and alternator and a distributor (lest it be a 'short block'), but what is the accepted standard for selling a motor? Also, what does it mean to add the word 'complete' as well?

Would love to hear real world input. Perhaps I've been wrong about my assumptions.
    When you sell anything, nothing is "implied". I've sold upwards of 1000 used Porsche motors and no 2 sales were the same. Be very specific, and spell out the terms. Make sure your buyer is aware of all the details and, then, do everything in your power to exceed his expectations. GLWS.

Jim

PS: In today's world, it is very easy to provide pictures and communication is really easy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post

I agree with Jim. Attempt to arbitrarily set self-imposed rules and you’ll be very disappointed in life.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-31-2019 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks Jim and Frank.

Oh and Frank, he's 'our' friend.

nothing implied is right, usually an engine sale is the engine through the heads completely assembled. No fuel system, no exhaust system.

Quote Originally Posted by dr914 View Post
    nothing implied is right, usually an engine sale is the engine through the heads completely assembled. No fuel system, no exhaust system.
    Usually? There is no "usually". Every transaction is different. You just need a willing buyer and a willing seller who agree on what is being offered or asked for. This ain't my first rodeo. I've sold 930 "plug and play" motors with every nut and bolt and accessory and less than 3000 miles and also sold 53 356 motors less heads, pistons and cylinders and no accessories with a rod hanging through the case. Both buyers were happy as a pig in sh*t. with their purchase.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 07-31-2019 at 11:49 AM.