Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMO carbs on stock 964 3.6 engine

I suspect you will be better off with the EFI unless you rebuild the engine to better suit carbs. Different pistons and cams would be needed to work well with carbs, I suspect.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by nico55 View Post
    To be honest I have no technical knowledge myself, I am just looking for a "budget friendly" hotrod engine, all the tech work is done by my brother but he wasn't very enthousiastic about the carb route so double checking on the forum, but if I understand it good the owner of the green rsr liked this 3.6 pmo setup very much?
    Though you may not be versed with engines, you will probably gain foundational knowledge of detonation if you absorb some basics now. Reducing compression a nominal amount to 10: 1 would probably be wise, regardless of octane. Some insight here :

https://jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre...mp-gas.291798/

I can see your thirst for carbs, but at what cost (money, time, experimenting, etc. not to mention anquish, worry and frustration). With a car like yours just go stock 3.6 and call it a day. I'd backdate the heat, put SSI's on the car and rock and roll. Next, rebuild your gearbox with shorter gear ratios and a guard lsd, lots of upgraded internals, maybe a collant pump if you plan to track it, and go live the dream. Ask yourself, do you take the blue pill and all goes back to normal and you don't own a Porsche. Take the red pill and I'll guide you down the rabbit hole to the slipper slope of Porschephilia, recently certified in the Physician's Desk Reference manuall as an addendum to describe men of our ilk

Hahaha, Ill take two red ones
    You are right, I thought it was just buying the pmo kit, plug and play... I will just leave it like that. Today the rsr finish braids came in with TB's and next week the car will be picked up by Leo - Madeno Racing (ohlins center), his work is fantastic, can't wait to finally drive the car.
    About that 964 engine: it was installed in 1990, so I think it is the first 3.6 conversion ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackMan View Post
    I can see your thirst for carbs, but at what cost (money, time, experimenting, etc. not to mention anquish, worry and frustration). With a car like yours just go stock 3.6 and call it a day. I'd backdate the heat, put SSI's on the car and rock and roll. Next, rebuild your gearbox with shorter gear ratios and a guard lsd, lots of upgraded internals, maybe a collant pump if you plan to track it, and go live the dream. Ask yourself, do you take the blue pill and all goes back to normal and you don't own a Porsche. Take the red pill and I'll guide you down the rabbit hole to the slipper slope of Porschephilia, recently certified in the Physician's Desk Reference manuall as an addendum to describe men of our ilk

Here some more pictures (paint on roof, bonnet, bumpers, under- and inside seems original)?Name:  276af7d1-f5f0-4570-952e-b2df454dfb59.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3788.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  84.7 KBName:  IMG_2300.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  105.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Today we fitted the braids, next week suspension and geometry Name:  IMG_3828.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  100.7 KB
    Last edited by nico55; 08-16-2019 at 01:52 AM.

Very very cool car, love the color and the Braids. Now get out there and drive it, get it dirty! Don't worry about making the front bonnet perfect. Don't paint it. Love the patina of the chips on the leading edge of the front bonnet/bumper. If you are afraid of rust or can't stand the look of patina, hire a pro to respray. Your front bonnet and bumper are way past the touch up paint stage.