Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose is it?

Banned

Whose is it?

"Men make their own history but they do not make it as they please."

An absolutely brilliant quote from one of my least-favorite communists; Karl Marx.

The thread below that includes a whopping 297 posts makes for a fascinating case study regarding intellectual property. When people post in a public forum, who does that info belong to? This topic has been discussed concerning the removal of prices after a Porsche thing has been sold but this thread brings up whether we as participants/members have the right to ultimately control a thread that we start.

Do we?

Do we believe that every jot and tittle that we post online can be memorialized? Is our only "control" as it relates to this forum the ability to go scorched earth as Raj did several years ago with his very childish act of deleting every single one of his thousands of posts?

I have no dog in this fight. I'm just curious as to what people think and the prevailing current attitudes of our culture. (In this situation I'll give credit where credit is due; it sounds like Chuck would have granted the OP's request had the OP provided a legitimate reason for removing said thread.)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...1968-912-roots

complicated theme. But if there is the option to eliminate and someone denies ... What is it then? Obviously I am against the deletion of post / images but I also believe that you have to have control over what you publish. He decided to eliminate it, I think ... his post / participations in that topic should be deleted! These are his words and he should have that right to eliminate them if he wanted to.
    I understand the technical point of view, in that case I would make a "backup" until I had the reason, and if I didn't have it, I would leave your post in delete ...
    My point of view, without knowing even half of the cases that have occurred of this type in the forum so not to take into account ... Greetings to all

I don't understand why anyone would be allowed to delete a thread, or allowed to remove prices from an ad, Frank. Since this is a public forum it seems to me that once posted, it's no longer the OP's "intellectual property"... we aren't talking about material that bears a copyright. A build thread posted here is not the same as one under one's personal auspice. It's not the contributors publication; once it's here, it's OURS. Anyone that wants to do that is free to but here, it is effectively a collective of participants managed by a select group. The idea that someone may be able to control and shape their internet history exactly as they wish without interactions from the group within the structure of a public forum is laughable.

And FWIW, the thread in question contains wonderful material. Why he wants to remove it is confounding. I've wondered about others now long gone... such as Raj.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    BTW: Color me naive but what’s the point of the swimming pool photo?

INAL, but, deal with copyright more than I'd like to have to....

Technically, unless the terms of service stated differently, the poster likely owns their material. Unclear what the TOS said when we signed up :-)

Yeah, the pool photo is odd... let's assume he's proud of his partner and wanted us to see. Wanna bet she's not aware of it?

Anyway, after combing through the FAQ list and specifically the terms of service, I can't find anything regarding content ownership relating to member contributions.
    I'm skeptical there's a legal argument for individual "ownership" of any content posted on an online forum... on a personal site, yes. Here or any open forum like this, no.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I assumed those two unrelated pictures were posted by mistake.
    Also not sure what the conditions of joining the site say but I figured, just like you do with Facebook, Outlook and Google, once you use them, the posts become their IP.
    that's why one has to think before posting; because people can make copies, etc. Once it's online, it's likely there forever....

Personally, I've learned so much from this site, from reading other build projects, people's technical questions, etc, that I also feel there's a moral obligation in my case to give back.
    I'm reporting on my project because I want others to have the same benefit that I had from lurking around here over the last 12 years. But each to their own really. It's just sad if that IP gets lost.
    Last edited by patrick911; 08-12-2019 at 06:32 PM.

It's ridiculous to ask that your thread be deleted....ESPECIALLY 30 pages in. But because the OP asked conspicuously, it gives every person who so desires the opportunity to screenshot/save the thread.
    I'd take it upon myself but I figure Longranger already has already done so
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Banned
    Obviously all kinds of questions come to mind not the least of which is:

1. Since the greatest value of this forum is the collective thoughts, information, and experience of the participants who owns that information?

2. Since participants voluntarily offer their posts and they have the ability to remove those posts the “community” acts as investors. If all of the investors decided to delete their posts the value of the entity would vanish. So, again who actually owns and “controls” all of this intellectual property?

3. If an entity owns the intellectual property can that entity be held responsible if say a woman in a swim suit comes after them for posting a photo of her without her permission?

Interesting times we live in.

If it is the woman in a swinsuit photo that is the cause of the problem the person who posted that photo can go back to the post and edit it to delete that particular photo and nothing else. (I just did it with a very old post of mine to check that it can still be done)
    So IF that is the issue it could be easily remedied.
    I suspect there is another motive
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776