Thread: Confusion with 67S Originality Details-Comments and/or Opinions

Confusion with 67S Originality Details-Comments and/or Opinions

I am in the finishing stages of a 67S Coupe Restoration Nut and Bolt. I have reviewed pictures of the so called "Holy Grail Car" the Risinger Car and also viewed pictures from the TWA 67S (a 50K mi. car owned by a TWA Pilot now sitting in a Los Angeles Collection. I have noticed a number of details specifically hardware finishes that are different on the 2 cars. I am aware that the "Risinger Car" had been judged in a number of Concours events over a period of several years during his ownership. Don't know if the TWA car was ever judged or not. Risinger's car now sits in the Collier Collection in Florida. I am wondering if anyone has opinions and/or advise on the following:
    1. bolts and hardware finishes on rear decklid(everything)?
    2. finishes on the receiver and latch for rear decklid?
    3. door pin color?
    4. color of motor mounts black or gold?
    5. slotted or unslotted hex bolts on all receivers front and rear?
    6. door latch color?
    All help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again and Happy New Year to All...

I owned the TWA car as it came for the original owner. Aside from some clamps I remember it being very untouched. All you list were original on that car. I also have had other original cars. See Porsport.com under Collection/past

Will take a look Don. thanks ...
    How would you compare TWA car to Risinger car?
    Most consider Risinger holy grail. I suppose because
    of the awards it won. But what I listed was different on both cars .

I have studied the TWA car , it's a time capsule !
    !. Clear zinc , hinge bolts painted black , deckled grill hardware painted red .
    2. Clear zinc .
    3. Hinge pins ? clear zinc
    4. Black
    5. Unslotted
    6. Clear zinc
    Personally , I think the TWA car is a better original example .
    Last edited by Richy; 01-06-2020 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling

"deckled [SIC] grill hardware painted red' ?? What deck-lid hardware was painted red from the factory? We have been over these questions/treatments at length in this forum concerning 1967 as a search will reveal . Even if it were possible to place these two famous cars side-by-side and compare them, continuing to believe each is unmolested, we would probably find some differences in hardware. 1967 was a "transition" year, including the transition from clear zinc (#1) to gold iridescent (#2) (or the cadmium equivalents at the time). Take for example the front (and rear) latch pieces and their associated bolts and washers. Many believe that the later Bomoro pieces were #2, while the earlier were #1. When did this change occur? Was it systematic? Or just a question of which color the assembly person happened to grab from the bin of these parts? Same goes for the KAMAX 10mm bolts that fasten the latch pieces to the body. I know one very highly regarded member of this community who "solved" this dilemma in the following way in his "no expense spared" restoration of a 67 911S SWT. He used #1 for the latch mechanisms, #2 for the bolts, and black lock washers. I don't know what color the hinge pins were plated originally, but they were painted (along with the hinge bolts) on the car. We should also keep in mind that over the long haul, the yellow chromate in #2 gives way, and the remaining surface looks very much like an old clear zinc or cadmium (#1). A good example of this is when people claim their brake calipers were originally #1, because the remnants of the plating today looks silver. But Ate only plated their calipers #2 (gold iridescent) never #1 (clear silver).

The deck lid grill hardware is red because the car is red , they are painted body color . A 356 carryover . I don't think the hinge pins were painted , they were installed after paint . How else could the doors be held away from the body during painting as in period factory photos ? Deck lid latches have been clear from '65 through '73 or longer , no yellow chromate faded on a latch . There are always exceptions .

A factory color picture goes a long way when it comes to this stuff. Jim, in the picture you can see what you were describing in regards to the rear latch and hardware. Clear latch and yellow chromate hardware. You see this same sort of situation on the oil lines, yellow collars and clear tubes. All details that are great to incorporate into a well executed restoration.

I too have seen painted grill hardware on a low sub 60K mileage 1965 911 as well as on a similar mileage 1967 911. if they painted the deck lid hinge bolts black I can see them going after the grill hardware.

If anyone would like a higher res copy of this photo please PM. Loads of details in there..

Cheers,

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547