Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone gone thru the new C of A process with a car like ours?

Privacy? . . .

. . . we got your privacy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    . . . If anyone thinks that historical information access is bad now, just wait until the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 takes effect on 01/01/2020. Corporations and car clubs presently maintaining data banks will be so threatened by the possibilities of running afoul of this law that traditional sources of information will dry up. When the law spreads to the Federal level, as many over-the-top California laws have done, any and all information sharing will be gone forever. Thanks California, but then again you're simply following the World Order as it began in Europe . . .
    Hm --- well, for anyone who wants to actually read the statute . . .
    https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/init...n%203%29_1.pdf

Short Version . . .
    '. . . A. In 1972, California voters amended the California Constitution to include the right of privacy among the "Inalienable" rights of all people. Voters acted in response to the accelerating encroachment on personal freedom and security caused by increased data collection and usage in contemporary society. The amendment established a legal and enforceable constitutional right of privacy for every Californian. Fundamental to this right of privacy is the ability of individuals to control the use, including the sale, of their personal information . . .'

And another post . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=1#post1037479

So enjoy your privacy

We Can Be Heroes

Ha! My comments must have stung more than I thought. I guess when you hear it all the time...
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 12-29-2019 at 05:47 PM.

?

We Can Be Heroes

Back on topic

I’ll never get one of these as they seem worthless and I don’t trust the knowledge of any inspection.

Unfortunately Porsche is barring all the information. I had a German friend who is a long time supplier to Porsche and friends with senior management, and when I asked him to inquire about an early werks car they wouldn’t answer. His response: “ this turns out to become a challenge. Porsche seems to be reluctant to provide such
    information as they have had instances where they have been sued by people thinking
    they were wrongly advised.”

Interesting side note to this COA fiasco, the recent Panorama article on my 24k-mile, paint-to-sample 911SC prompted conversations with some people far up the ladder at PCNA. It turns out that some of them are equally unhappy about this situation and there are internal discussions about bringing back at least a service in some form that would verify our numbers without requiring an inspection at a Porsche Classic service facility. Personally, I'm not holding my breath but it was nice to hear dissent from people on this inside.

It’s pretty bad with Ferrari too. Especially with their red book certification where they feel free to rebuild stuff. This also requires regular recertification. They are doing it as a money grab in my mind. There’s a private historian Marcel M who has extensive and relied on records.

The only upside to this is the provenance on the 3 liter Colombo and earlier Lampredi cars are relatively well known, and certainly in comparison to Porsche’s.

I’m not a PCA member. (Modern Porsche’s don’t really interest me).

What was so interesting about an SC that they write about it and it prompted conversations “up the chain?”

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Back on topic

I’ll never get one of these as they seem worthless and I don’t trust the knowledge of any inspection.

Unfortunately Porsche is barring all the information. I had a German friend who is a long time supplier to Porsche and friends with senior management, and when I asked him to inquire about an early werks car they wouldn’t answer. His response: “ this turns out to become a challenge. Porsche seems to be reluctant to provide such
    information as they have had instances where they have been sued by people thinking
    they were wrongly advised.”
    No, re “early werks cars” it might be because in Germany, a multi million fraud system with VIN numbers of these cars was recently coming to light.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 12-30-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I’m not a PCA member. (Modern Porsche’s don’t really interest me).

What was so interesting about an SC that they write about it and it prompted conversations “up the chain?”
    The PCA has a large contingent of members who are focused on the early cars and Panorama frequently surprises me with well-researched pieces on Porsche history. You should join.

Long story (11 pages) on the SC but kind of the definition of "one of one". PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the magazine if you're interested.

Karim, is it possible that after this fraudulent case is resolved that Porsche may return to their older procedures for releasing this information? I realize you may not be a lawyer but you seem to be very familiar with the procedures, so we look forward to your comments.
    Bill S.