Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Has anyone gone thru the new C of A process with a car like ours?

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    …000 does it on nicer paper with no ads but information is information.
    To the point of this thread, yes, there have been changes in what can/can't/will/won't be shared. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but it's a tricky subject.

To the comments on 000, I'm always game to learn from readers, however I am a bit surprised by the "information is information" comment. I know of no medium that vets and displays information in the way 000 does, and those working on 000 have unearthed new information and perspectives I haven't seen after studying the marque full time for 20 years. Many of 000's topics just don't make sense within a book's business model, just as they don't for a "generalist" Porsche publication. I can understand where someone who only wants information on ONE model of Porsche might be disappointed, but 000's point isn't to replace hyperspecific Porsche magazines (like 356 Registry or Esses) just as it isn't meant to replace generalist Porsche magazines (Excellence or Panorama)—it's meant to add something to the landscape. I've always preferred a varied approach to studying Porsche, which is part of why I've always liked this forum as a 914 owner who has yet to scratch his early 911 itch. Just as early 911s have helped me better understand my 914, other Porsches have helped me better understand the 911 story more completely. Whether that's "worth it" to someone else, and whether it's worth supporting initiatives that are doing new and serious research, is up to each reader. We know we have to earn your business, which is why I pay attention to readers' comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    regarding 000…I'm getting disappointed by the lack of vintage cars in it.
    As I look at the last 12 covers, only 3 feature cars less than 20 years old: one is 19 years old (LMP2000), another is 9 years old (GT2 RS), and the third is the only "new" Porsche on a cover, the only PTS GT4 Clubsport race car delivered in Paint to Sample. Among the rest, 4 are air-cooled 911s ('73 RSH Paris show car, a Bahama Yellow SWB 911S, a 911 ST aka Sloopy Jr, and an ex-Vasek Polak 934), 2 are 356s, 1 is a rare 959S, 1 is a 917/30, and 1 is a 928 Club Sport. And those are just the cover stories—I'd have to count the pages, but I suspect 65-90% of the pages in each issue of 000 covers older Porsches. But I am here to listen, too! If you've got suggestions, I am always open to how we can better serve you.

Pete thanks for your comments. If truth be told I may just be over it. I bought my first Porsche in '64, a '55 speedster, for 1400USD and the ball started rolling from there. In the ensuing years I've owned nearly 50 Porsches. All '73 0r older. I guess I'm lost to those early cars. I had one period where I worked with Bill Doyle at Rennwagen Motor Co. when he was in Wyoming. I got to reassemble, massage, ride in and test some of the most interesting and rare Porsches on the planet. After that maybe I'm jaded.

I'm at the point in my life where I'm getting rid of much of my Porsche stuff; not acquiring. I have a massive, to me, collection of memorabilia, hard parts and trinkets that must go. Magazines as well. My cars are up for the winter and other than checking in here, Porsche is not on my radar. I'm more interested in the long range NOAA forecast hoping for deep, new snow. I ski a lot.

Your efforts with 000 are unparalleled and I eagerly signed up. The production is beautiful. It just does not float my boat. But kudos and good luck with 000.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I agree. I hope it goes nationwide. Selling our data for commercial purposes isn’t acceptable.
    And that California law will do exactly zero to stop it.

Shocker...

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Pete thanks for your comments. If truth be told I may just be over it. I bought my first Porsche in '64, a '55 speedster, for 1400USD and the ball started rolling from there. In the ensuing years I've owned nearly 50 Porsches. All '73 0r older. I guess I'm lost to those early cars. I had one period where I worked with Bill Doyle at Rennwagen Motor Co. when he was in Wyoming. I got to reassemble, massage, ride in and test some of the most interesting and rare Porsches on the planet. After that maybe I'm jaded.

I'm at the point in my life where I'm getting rid of much of my Porsche stuff; not acquiring. I have a massive, to me, collection of memorabilia, hard parts and trinkets that must go. Magazines as well. My cars are up for the winter and other than checking in here, Porsche is not on my radar. I'm more interested in the long range NOAA forecast hoping for deep, new snow. I ski a lot.

Your efforts with 000 are unparalleled and I eagerly signed up. The production is beautiful. It just does not float my boat. But kudos and good luck with 000.
    All good, and thanks Steve.

Was thinking about this thread as I went to grab lunch, and realized that I am not all that bummed to see a shakeup with the CoA system—as the one we've had for years now was riddled with mistakes (Tiptronic transmissions in early cars, etc) and blanks...and you got what you got to the point I never bothered pulling one for a Porsche I've had for 31 years now. Part of it is I just don't care because the car isn't terribly original, and part of it is mistakes tend to undermine my trust in the rest of the document's veracity (an occupational hazard I know all too well!). It's also heartening to read JP's words re: PCNA personnel saying they aren't okay with the new setup. If all this adds up to something better than what we've had (even if certain info becomes tougher to get), maybe it's not the worst thing? We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Btw, i personally saw the 2 big grey metal drawers where all original Kardex are kept, in Archiv No 2.
    (There are two Archiv, No1 and No2, both highly secured and not open to public. They are not connected to the Porsche Library Archive (visible on entrance of Porsche Museum) but located off, same building.

My point is the real data is there but how and why so many faults of Kardex interpretations of CoA are happening or did happening in the past.
    I can only assume a copy of the original Kardex document is sent to any official Porsche Importer of each market country and then, a translation and/or interpretation is done „locally“....lacking often historic infos (and changing employees) about the codes might is the reason why so many faults exists.
    As for Kardex, i was told those continued into 1972 and behond, partly then done on microfiche but registred and printed out on paper, available to authorized sources.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    And that California law will do exactly zero to stop it.

Shocker...
    We should switch the presumption to privacy then like in Europe. The abuses are so bad and rampant.

Nice short article in today’s Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...-believe-hype/

Companies have the ability to collect, aggregate and use data was rampant in the industry. If people really understood the breadth and how it was used and the second order consequences there wouldn’t be a discussion to how important the issue is. There is no way to protect our privacy without government action which won’t happen here for commercial and political reasons. Now if I ran some internet marketing business and bought consumer leads I wouldn’t want that.
    Last edited by rower; 01-08-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate url removed