Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 901 Transmission groan?

901 Transmission groan?

While I sort my 4K PMO hesitation, I’m also concerned about a groaning noise I hear after an hour or so of driving from Either the freshly rebuilt motor or I believe the 5 speed 901 transmission GD Racing rebuilt 11 years and 20k miles ago. I only hear this groaning from the rear at low RPM under load. I’m going to drain the old Swepco fluid and replace with new Swepco gear oil to see if that helps. it’s still nice and blue from the tiny leaks I’ve seen. I do drive this 2.2S motor pretty hard and was wondering if that has added too much stress to the tranny internals. But this same tranny was built for 1971 2.2S as far as I know. Btw, how much is a resealed and refreshened 901 costing these days?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

How much for a new pair of shoes ? There are a lot of variables .

minus labor to R/I and shipping CMS charges about 1200 to open a 901 + parts needed.

Has anyone heard this groan before when at operating temp for a while as explained above?
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

You are asking this group to diagnose a transaxle noise from a verbal description ? Good luck , but I'll guess the main shaft intermediate plate bearing .

Thanks for taking the time. If Car Talk could do it for years over the radio, I was hoping this board could too. It’s not my wheel bearings fwiw and motor was just rebuilt.
    Last edited by zenithblue71T; 08-20-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Banned
    What does your mechanic think it is?

Lack of lube in pilot bearing?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Banned
    That’s exactly what I was thinking Ed.

OP, do yourself a favor: Replace the fork pivot bolt when the engine’s out.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-19-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Is the clutch fully engaged when making noise ? if so , not the pilot bearing .