Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound insulation in my 1969 911 E

Sound insulation in my 1969 911 E

I'm in the middle of my 1969 Porsche 911 2.0 E restoration. I try to keep the car as close to original as i can, so i don't make any updates in the car. Now i try to make the insulation on the rear parcel shelf and the rear seats. But because the insulation was almost completly missing in my car, i don't know if i did it wrong or not. Please help me with it. The only reference i had is a 10x10cm piece of felt covered with tar. I've figured it out that all the rear insulation was from this material not from this rubberised material you can see on later models.

First i had to find the correct felt. After months i found it. It is 1cm thick and looks exaclty like the reference material.

Name:  20170728_232944.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  36.0 KB

After that i had to cover the rear area with this felt. It was really hard, because i didn't have any templates for this. I saw many videos and checked a lot of photos. And i measured, then cut, and measured again, and cut again... For 2 days... But i was satisfied with thge results...

Name:  20170727_193219.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  59.4 KB

The problem was that this felt is not covered with tar (for water repellency maybe?). I've purchased some tar based "paint" and started to cover the felt.

Name:  20170727_205644.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  63.2 KB

After one layer of tar it starts to look quite good, but it needs an additional layer tomorrow to get the uniform black finish.

Name:  20170728_201848.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  58.2 KB

I know it looked way much better without tar, but what can i do if that is how it looked like originally. Now the surface of the felt is quite hard, but overall you can feel that it's some soft material. So i think it works good.

Or am i wrong? Did it look different in 1969? Please give me some advice. I have a lot of this felt material, so i can start it all over!

I think you've done extremely well replicating an old style process. The only difference I can see is that if you look at an old printed parts book you can see that what was glued in were PRECUT panels with visible edges,,,,that might be the only improvement I could suggest,,,,but find parts book illustrations first to confirm what I think was done.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I think you've done extremely well replicating an old style process. The only difference I can see is that if you look at an old printed parts book you can see that what was glued in were PRECUT panels with visible edges,,,,that might be the only improvement I could suggest,,,,but find parts book illustrations first to confirm what I think was done.
    I made the panels based on this picture. But i tried to hide the edges to make the surface smoother. But maybe i was too precise?

Name:  911653-Daemmung_HSL_Coupe_2_2__01.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  303.3 KB

nice work.

putting all this efford in a non visible area makes me wonder if you did not notice that there is the 73-door lock post welded on your car.i think if not corrected this would bother you every time when opening the passenger door
    franz

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    nice work.

putting all this efford in a non visible area makes me wonder if you did not notice that there is the 73-door lock post welded on your car.i think if not corrected this would bother you every time when opening the passenger door
    franz
    Oh my god! I can see it now. How didn't i notice it??? I'm speechless...
    It's because the chassis was restored 4 years ago, and then i were a nwebie in Porsche restoration. The only reproduction door lock post was the JP/Dansk. They suggested it from 65-89. Now i see that there are already other reproductions for 65-71 models. I will correct it before i sell the car. Danke!
    Last edited by lrogacs; 07-29-2017 at 03:53 AM.

I'm at the same point in my 69 E restoration. I think your work is excellent. I've chosen a modern 3M material for my insulation, but for originality your work looks fantastic.
    1969 911 E #824

Interesting. Was this material changed during the later long hood years, or did it remain the same through 1973?

Xpensivewino... What did you use, and what are you using on the floor?

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

member #1515
    Nice work, but I think you might have a hard time laying the carpet and fitting the interior over that continuous covering, 1cm sounds a bit thick too.
    The 73 used a thin heavy vinyl type material grey, fells almost leaded. About 1/8 inch thick.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Interesting. Was this material changed during the later long hood years, or did it remain the same through 1973?

Xpensivewino... What did you use, and what are you using on the floor?

Scott
    There were a change in 1970. in 1969 it was much more like on the SWB cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Nice work, but I think you might have a hard time laying the carpet and fitting the interior over that continuous covering, 1cm sounds a bit thick too.
    The 73 used a thin heavy vinyl type material grey, fells almost leaded. About 1/8 inch thick.
    From 1970 Porsche used a completly different sound proofing in the cars. They were heavy vinyl (or some kind of rubberised ,aterial), but in 1969 it was much more like on the SWb cars. They used felt wich was even thicker than 1cm. Around 1,2-1,4cm i think.

For example on your car the rear side covering was a relatively thin rubber sheet but on my car it was an 1cm thick felt. How i know? Because i have the original as a reference (it is the only one original insulation i have). You can check it on the picture. On the left is my reproduction, on the right is the original. It is 1cm thick and really different from yours.
    Name:  20170725_173704.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  60.2 KB

But i have some pictures from an other '69 insulation. It looks like it is the same on the rear parcel shelf and on the rear seats as the side panel i have.

Name:  padding+horse+hair1354753480.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  87.5 KB
    Last edited by lrogacs; 07-30-2017 at 02:07 AM.