Thread: Recaro LS seats & stock seat belt...thoughts please

Recaro LS seats & stock seat belt...thoughts please

I am nearing the finish line on my 72 hot rod that will use Recaro LS seats. Seat-to-floor mounting brackets fit fine, but I remembered that the stock seat belt anchor bracket and seat belt receptor bracket are designed to mount on the seat (rather than the seat bracket). I discovered that the Recaros - since they are a universal seat - don't have pre-drilled & tapped holes to mount the original seat belt anchors/bracket, but they do have a pair of holes on each side of the seat underside (covered in seat fabric now) that are in the proper location for seat belt brackets. The stock brackets are also not long enough to reach these mounting areas and I'll have to mig-weld some added length to them and install nut-serts in the available pair of holes on each side of the seat. I've attached some photos. Before I proceed, I thought I would see if someone has 'been there, done that' and agree with my plan or have another idea. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My friend has a pair of similar Recaros (apparently from a BMW E21) in her '73.5 targa. They were installed long ago, were already in the car when she and her late husband bought the car 20+ years back. The angle brackets for her belts are mounted beneath the sliders, IIRC. Placement doesn't seem perfect, but it works. Sorry, I have no pictures, since it isn't my car.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    My friend has a pair of similar Recaros (apparently from a BMW E21) in her '73.5 targa. They were installed long ago, were already in the car when she and her late husband bought the car 20+ years back. The angle brackets for her belts are mounted beneath the sliders, IIRC. Placement doesn't seem perfect, but it works. Sorry, I have no pictures, since it isn't my car.
    Thank you..if 'beneath the sliders' mean between the actual seat bottom and slider, then yes, that is what I intend to do...I don't see another way. If one were to mount the seat belt brackets to the actual seat bracket that attaches to the car, the seat would interfere with the seat belt brackets as it is adjusted fore and aft....another way of saying this is that the seat belt brackets must move with the seat. Hope this makes sense.

I have them in my car, can send some detail pictures tomorrow if you want?Name:  IMG_3830.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  103.6 KBName:  IMG_3831.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  85.0 KB

member #1515
    The LS seats are very comfortable. I have a different version, but they should mount the same way. Mounting belts to the seats is not very safe, that is why Porsche changed to floor mounting.
    I have the brackets attached above the seat rail. My brackets seem a bit stouter than yours and have a bit of offset and don't interfere at all with seat movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    By the way, the holes on the bottoms of your seats will not give you proper lap placement they will be away from directly over your pelvis. If you look at Nico's pictures, his are similar to mine.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thank you guys - very, very helpful and you're right....I just test fit one of the seats and placed the brackets on top of the seat .frame mount holes and no interference....not sure what I was seeing last night. I do, however, have to enlarge the L bracket slotted holes just a bit as they are a tad to close together to align perfectly with the frame mounting holes. I'm guessing the seat belt L brackets originally mounted to the stock seats and the spacing for those mounts was just a bit narrower. Thank you again!