Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard hit......356...on YT

As I said I only saw it once so will rewatch. But two things: 1. It seemed the Porsche has another quarter width high to go; 2. It’s an amateur race and you have to be careful passing high and leaving no out. The consequence shouldn’t be potentially fatal especially around an open wheeler. Putting yourself in a situation that has this sort of outcome potential seems to be a mistake. These aren’t pro drivers. It’s acceptable to drive another car close to the wall to preserve the best line - as long as they had some safety margin. You aren’t taking the overtaking drivers line if you preserve your own. But if the open wheel moved out of his line then that’s a problem agreed.

member #1515
    That video happens to be on an oval. At the speed that Vee or whatever was going he didn't need the high line. At Daytona the first thing they tell you is that the high line on the banking is for the fastest cars. He left no room for another car between himself and the wall.
    Wherever you are you don't wander to a different approach. Recipe for disaster. I still think it irresponsible to mix open wheelers with stock iron.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    That video happens to be on an oval. At the speed that Vee or whatever was going he didn't need the high line. At Daytona the first thing they tell you is that the high line on the banking is for the fastest cars. He left no room for another car between himself and the wall.
    Wherever you are you don't wander to a different approach. Recipe for disaster. I still think it irresponsible to mix open wheelers with stock iron.
    You don’t need to give a line in passing. It’s polite. And wise. (And open wheel cars have this issue even with other open wheel cars. The reason not to mix them is visibility as they often are so much lower or performance differences not just that the Porsche is closed) But where I raced the overtaking car has to have his nose inside my car in order for him to have the right to that line. He’s allowed one move (as opposed to weaving). He does not need to yield to a faster driver. He doesn’t need to allow space unless the overtaking driver has his nose along side. Here the Porsche runs up his back so he never had that line.

Note. Just rewatched it and yes the open wheel car did drift upwards.now it’s more complicated so I will agree with you due to closeness and closing speed. But Porsche driver was not blameless too I think given circumstances. . The Stewards will call an infraction of the overtaking driver was fast enough and close enough to not be able to react to the move. It appears to be the case here though the Porsche made no attempt to move outside to avoid the accident either. That would also be taken into consideration. This rules are made for pros though and these shouldn’t mix. It was reckless of the Porsche to make that assumption in this type of event.

“The one-move rule holds true whether the defender’s moves are designed to block the attacker or to stop the attacker from keeping in the defender’s slipstream. The precedent for the latter case is Lewis Hamilton’s weaving in front of Vitaly Petrov at the 2010 Malaysian Grand Prix, for which he received a warning from the stewards.

When a defender makes their one move, the distance and closing speed of the attacker may also be considered by the stewards. If the attacker is closing quickly and is only a short distance behind, then they may not have time to evade a sudden move into their path. It is at the stewards’ discretion whether or not to punish late defensive moves under sporting regulation 20.5.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
    Last edited by rower; 09-04-2019 at 05:15 AM.

PIT maneuver mastered by Nascar.

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

member #1515
    I have zero experience in Historic events, I imagine rules are pretty clear on passing.
    During my racing career, stewards very rarely intervened except in outrageous cases. No onboard cameras either, drivers settled issues among themselves or one just steered clear of the jerks.
    In many ways I preferred that over third party intervention as we see now with all the ad nauseam video repeats to analyze fault. The consequences of an accident kept most everyone inline as the cars and circuits were more dangerous.
    About the only things penalized were jumped starts.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs