Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: @Bonhams Monterey - '67 911

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Chris, I think you have it right there!
    As the prices of a few years ago began climbing, so did the number of cars coming out of the woodwork that could justify the spend of a full restoration. Resto costs moved up with the cars' values and the earlybirds got the buyers & cashed in on the excitement (speculators and those with FOMO). But it's supply and demand, and it appears that those with the money have got their cars and now there's a surplus!
    Upside, those that thought they couldn't afford to own an early 911 now have a glimmer of hope!
    Still glad I bought mine when I did (26 years ago) and still "drive it like I stole it". Which I pretty much did, when you consider what it's worth now, even with the current "dip".
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 911kiwi View Post
    Chris, I think you have it right there!
    As the prices of a few years ago began climbing, so did the number of cars coming out of the woodwork that could justify the spend of a full restoration. Resto costs moved up with the cars' values and the earlybirds got the buyers & cashed in on the excitement (speculators and those with FOMO). But it's supply and demand, and it appears that those with the money have got their cars and now there's a surplus!
    Upside, those that thought they couldn't afford to own an early 911 now have a glimmer of hope!
    Still glad I bought mine when I did (26 years ago) and still "drive it like I stole it". Which I pretty much did, when you consider what it's worth now, even with the current "dip".
    Agree. We must be bought around the same time. Got a whole matching numbers good provenance RS for probably what it would cost just to buy a a handful of choice spare part for the thing now.

They had been higher in late eighties six figures for RS and fell so not sure why it would be expected to be only ever a one way price journey these days given the dramatic ride of late.

Maybe even longer term owners than got early 911 even cheaper e.g. for the price of a couple of Sport Recaros in today's asking price or possibly even in early nineties they felt they'd overpaid in late eighties faced with early nineties "correction".

The price rises have brought in a lot of new "experts" who have spent money and saved a lot - many that were in a sorry state - and pet peeve restored already nice things that maybe should've been preserved. However when looked at once the breathless excitement died down some are not greatest cars or restorations and no doubt some folks will be upside down financially.

Hardly anyone knew what an early RS was when I bought it and most thought it an odd choice Vs a brand new beemer of the time but now everyone is an early 911 expert. Quaintly my postman lectured me on what the car is and had a go at describing the finer points of model when he saw it.

When broadsheet newspapers take an editorial interest in the investment of a not uncommon classic car like early 911 then the market is probably already over hyped. I talked a friend out of impulsively buying at what felt like a 911 market high point and he has now realised that was good advice as he had never been a 911 guy and he might be underwater.

I don't care on price, if I did I'd have sold it. I don't view it as an investment. I'm sure there are many others smarter on investments in assets but I just know it's a good choice of classic car that I've enjoyed.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 08-18-2019 at 04:59 AM.

I have been in the Porsche hobby for a long time and always followed this simple rule: buy the car you like and want. I guess that's why I've had so many speedsters. A major fringe benefit for me has been the ease of upkeep and maintenance. Working on the cars is almost as enjoyable as driving and more rewarding in a way.I have never bought a car for investment and don't plan on it. As Steve said it's about enjoyment.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    I have been in the Porsche hobby for a long time and always followed this simple rule: buy the car you like and want. I guess that's why I've had so many speedsters. A major fringe benefit for me has been the ease of upkeep and maintenance. Working on the cars is almost as enjoyable as driving and more rewarding in a way.I have never bought a car for investment and don't plan on it. As Steve said it's about enjoyment.
    Lord knows... I couldn't have an old car if I had to pour tons of $$$ into it. Thankfully these cars are relatively easy to keep.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

912 prices just where Hagerty and latest Excellence would place them. Actually the 69 Targa a little high. We can have no complaints when the sell the half baked ones. Crying about my 911 though.

Then on the other hand the silver 67S rally car did $825,000. Not including fees. double the estimate.

Nice Correction to this Market of OVER-VALUED and OVER-PRICED Collector Cars. Helps keep Insurance Costs Reasonable.
    I did not Buy to Invest but Use. When someone asks for $4k for Wooden Streering Wheel or $15k for 4-1/2 x 15 Fuchs, the Market is Way Too Ridiculous.

R
    Marvel in SW MT

'88 911 Carrera 3.2L
    '72 911S Sunroof Coupe ex-R-Gruppe
    '68 912 Outlaw Coupe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
    Nice Correction to this Market of OVER-VALUED and OVER-PRICED Collector Cars. Helps keep Insurance Costs Reasonable.
    I did not Buy to Invest but Use. When someone asks for $4k for Wooden Streering Wheel or $15k for 4-1/2 x 15 Fuchs, the Market is Way Too Ridiculous.

R
    Marvel in SW MT

'88 911 Carrera 3.2L
    '72 911S Sunroof Coupe ex-R-Gruppe
    '68 912 Outlaw Coupe
    So if we “correct” to 2008 prices and you get terminally ill and have to sell your cars for market value you’ll be happy?

I’ll bet your wife/kids/heirs won’t be so tickled.

Glad i cleared out my barn a few yrs ago , lol
    Pretty sure I got 5K+ for my Aluminium wood wheels.
    I also got my 3.0 930 for super cheap in 2008ish,, I think its time to "See what happens" with the old gal .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    So if we “correct” to 2008 prices and you get terminally ill and have to sell your cars for market value you’ll be happy?

I’ll bet your wife/kids/heirs won’t be so tickled.
    When my wife looks in the garage she sees a new kitchen, bath and several nice vacations. I won't burst that bubble just yet.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000