Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headliner

Headliner

I have searched for, and discovered, many threads discussing headliners, but mostly pointing out issues or problems with the current offering. In the meantime, someone painted my original ivory/grey headliner black, which now means I need to replace it. In that light, and with the understanding that the perfect one might not exist, which one should I purchase for a 1968 911L and from whom?

Thank you in advance for your replies, or advice on how to restore back to ivory/grey,

Pascal

I just got one from Autos international. Looks perfectly fine to me. Autobahn and Heritage are also good sources
    Chuck
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

That’s where I got mine too, but the hole pattern is wrong, as has been described ad naseum in a different thread (http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...vory+headliner). Square instead of hexagonal. Andrea made one with tje right pattern but is was too thick and the seals would go over it properly. Alan at Canford was tooling up to make one several years ago bit never heard back on the progress of that.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Ehm...
    Sorry
    But after more than 100 headliners sold, nobody said to me it was too thick.
    And , after all, thickness means resistence...

Ciao
    Andrea
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

I had one of Andrea's headliners installed and my installer didn't say anything about it being too thick. Looks great.

Thank you mate!
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

I loved the headliner, but Robert Gross was my installer and he said it was too thick for the clips and seals and as the seals hardened they would split. We tried a bunch of different seals too, but no luck. So he didn't want to put it in after wrestling with it for quite a while. So I don't know what the deal was, because I really had my heart set on using Andrea's beautiful piece, but just reporting my experience.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Being a 68 911L you might have an elephant hide interior, if so the headliner is unique and to my knolwedge not available.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

No Elephant skin interior, I think those were only on original European cars and mine is a US model. But still not clear what I should do between wring colour, wrong holes, too thick, etc etc. You would think just putting in or restoring a headliner wouldn’t require so much thinking!

Do we know when black headliners became available?

My '69T is tangerine with black interior. I thought the ivory headliner and black/ivory sunvisors looked ridiculous; they should be black! I looked for and found a black headliner and all-black '69-style sunvisors somewhere, had them installed (no issues per the installer), and everybody is gaga over how great it all looks. Unless you are planning to show on the lawn at Pebble Beach, who cares about color, holes, pattern, thickness, etc.?
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)