Thread: Clutch stop on floorboard

Clutch stop on floorboard

Hi all,

My clutch cable failed recently so the pedal dropped to the floor — luckily I was not far from home and with a friend so we were able to push the car back to the garage. I’ve now fixed this, it turned out the cable was only screwed in one mm instead of 20 mm at the pedal end, so it worked itself out. I’ve adjusted the nut at the gearbox end so the pedal has about one inch of free play, as described by Wayne Dempsey. So far so good, but the pedal travel is now much more than before.

I’ve now found out that there should be a pedal stop attached to the wooden floorboard but I don’t have it. I’ve ordered one but I have some questions:

- What are the correct bolts/nuts to attach it to the floorboard? Looks like they don’t come with the stop that I ordered and I’d like to do it “right”.
    - It should be adjusted such that the cable travel is 15 mm, correct?
    - Is it harmful to drive with more clutch travel than this? Can this damage the clutch or gearbox?

Thanks!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    What are the correct bolts/nuts to attach it to the floorboard? Looks like they don’t come with the stop that I ordered and I’d like to do it “right”.
    Frederik, here is the correct hardware for a 72 pedal stop...

2) 900.119.025.02 Cheese-head screw M5 x 15 DIN 6912-8.8 verz.
    2) 900.114.009.01 Tooth washer A5,3 DIN6797 phr.
    2) 901.423.368.00 Support

The support piece, #72, is a Porsche part and not a general hardware item.

Name:  DSCN1002.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  58.5 KB

You should adjust the clutch so that it disengages completely, in all situations. You shouldn't have much more travel than necessary for this purpose.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the great info. I've now ordered the correct parts.

Cheers, Frederik
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833